Batting 9 vs roster batting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2017
I am making the distinction from playing the best 9 to playing the same 9.

The original post it sounded like you had a group of 2 or 3 players that weren't committed and had poor performance repeatedly.

Either the coach or the parent failed (or both) in this situation. Either way no need to punish the player.

Either they are a part of your team or they aren't.

Taking the cowards way out and benching the same players is repeatedly is not the answer.

Apologies if I misunderstood your original post.
It’s all good. They will definitely be playing on Saturday and the plan was to earn it on Sunday. There is as much to blame parents for as the kids. They see what goes on at practice and don’t bring them to practice. I came here looking for some guidance and it’s appreciated.

Jun 8, 2016
Either the coach or the parent failed (or both) in this situation. Either way no need to punish the player.
So if a second year 12u kid cannot field a GB but wants to play SS should you let them or should you punish them? How about a pitcher who wants to pitch but cannot throw strikes (remember that thread? I do..) Pitch them or punish them? Etc, etc.

Where do you draw the entitlement line? These kids will get ABs in pool play and likely some in bracket play if the circumstances warrant it (kids miss games..)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It’s all good. They will definitely be playing on Saturday and the plan was to earn it on Sunday. There is as much to blame parents for as the kids. They see what goes on at practice and don’t bring them to practice. I came here looking for some guidance and it’s appreciated.

An important factor (but one that I have seen abandoned frequently) is establishing a policy, and sticking to it. If you announce to the players and parents that you will be starting the best 9 players for bracket games, do that. If you get push-back from the parents of players that didn't play, or played very little, I think it's totally fine to tell them...

"I understand that you're frustrated about Suzy's playing time. Now that we are playing at a higher level of competition, we are going to start focusing more on giving this team the best chance to win games, and get deeper into these tournaments. With that in mind, it's my job to put the team on the field that I believe will get that done. We think Suzy is a wonderful young lady, but we also think she has some work to do to take over a starting role. We believe she can get there, and we want her to be successful, but it's going to take her putting in the time and effort to improve her skills. We understand that scheduling conflicts come up in life, but playing at a higher level also comes with a commitment to be at team practices. Practices are not just about getting reps of fundamental skills, but also about learning along with her teammates when we are teaching things like defensive plays, base-running strategies, and batting approach. If she not there to learn, she's not keeping up with the team."

...or something like that.

Oct 26, 2019
Late to the party, but this is pretty much what I communicated to our parents to start the spring season this year. We are also 12U. Our plan is to bat everyone in pool play and then bat the best 9 on Sunday bracket day. Up until now we have always batted the whole roster or 11 or 12. After the fall season of doing that many of our parents expressed a desire to be more competitive. I would actually prefer keeping it more developmental for another year, but I am also a parent on the team as well as the head coach and if some of those parents leave it becomes a team that I’m not sure interested in having my daughter on. Tough to wear both hats sometimes.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
I am all about fielding the most competitive team. No issues with batting the line up that gives you the best chance to win on Sunday, whether that be 9 or 12. I personally bat my roster but if a kid is really struggling that weekend they may not hit in a certain game, my decision and I'm good with it and the potential conversation with the parent that comes with it. It doesn't last though, I go back to batting my line up.

Here is the issue, if a second year 12U goes 5-50 on the season and the coach can't find a defensive inning or two for them in any game then why are they on the team? It's a cop out to say that they "don't put the work in at home" or they "goof around all the time." If that is the case then have a serious conversation with the parents/players or cut them (or both). Don't just keep them hanging around. If some of my parents saw that I had 2-3 players who never put in work and goofed off all the time, I would hear about it.

I also think that whole "earn it on Saturday" thing goes right out of the window when one of the "good" players struggle while one of the "bottom" players plays well on Saturday.

What coaches REALLY mean when they say this is that 1-9 are always set and the bottom 3 can "earn" a way into the 10 spot with good play. Bad performance never removes 1-9 (or 1-4/5/6/7....).

Again, no issue with batting 9. The issue is the behavior is allowed to continue and the "punishment" is less playing time. Just to be clear, this is very different than 1-2 players struggling a certain weekend so they aren't in the line up. The issue is there are 2-3 kids who shouldn't be on the team but they are.

Oct 14, 2019
I am all about fielding the most competitive team. No issues with batting the line up that gives you the best chance to win on Sunday, whether that be 9 or 12. I personally bat my roster but if a kid is really struggling that weekend they may not hit in a certain game, my decision and I'm good with it and the potential conversation with the parent that comes with it. It doesn't last though, I go back to batting my line up.

Here is the issue, if a second year 12U goes 5-50 on the season and the coach can't find a defensive inning or two for them in any game then why are they on the team? It's a cop out to say that they "don't put the work in at home" or they "goof around all the time." If that is the case then have a serious conversation with the parents/players or cut them (or both). Don't just keep them hanging around. If some of my parents saw that I had 2-3 players who never put in work and goofed off all the time, I would hear about it.

I also think that whole "earn it on Saturday" thing goes right out of the window when one of the "good" players struggle while one of the "bottom" players plays well on Saturday.

What coaches REALLY mean when they say this is that 1-9 are always set and the bottom 3 can "earn" a way into the 10 spot with good play. Bad performance never removes 1-9 (or 1-4/5/6/7....).

Again, no issue with batting 9. The issue is the behavior is allowed to continue and the "punishment" is less playing time. Just to be clear, this is very different than 1-2 players struggling a certain weekend so they aren't in the line up. The issue is there are 2-3 kids who shouldn't be on the team but they are.
Agree that if the 4 hitter goes 0-12 on Saturday the coach will usually just say she hit the ball hard but just got unlucky and keep her in the same spot on Sunday.

Jun 8, 2016
So everybody that is advocating for cutting is fine with cutting a kid after the season has already started (because it has already started it appears) and most rosters are filled? To me that is more of a di*% move then possibly limiting their bracket ABs 🤷‍♂️ .

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
It has been said already but, it is ok in bracket play to hit your best 9 or 10 depending on drop off. If you can work in a DP / Flex situation, great. Get the girls on the bench base running opportunities when you can. Get the girls on the bench pinch hit ABs when the game is out of hand (in either direction). There is no shame in cutting down for bracket.
If there are questions about playing time politely discuss the lack of effort, focus and attention in practice as well as the performance you are seeing during pool play. You should not feel bad here.

Even if it is obvious to you that they are not working at home, unless you know for sure you can't really go their with the parent. but you can point to the direct behavior and performance you see in practice and games

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
??? Let's play the weaker develop players in pool play (even though we may lose and end up in a lower bracket the next day)
So on sunday, in the tournament portion...
Play in the lower bracket,
we will play our starting 9,
and kick everybody's tushie,
so we can win the lower bracket.

Hmmm?
Isn't that like sandbagging so you can come out and get a trophy on Sunday?

imo
If the players on the team are so diversly separated in talent that they cannot play on either day, the roster is off-balanced and askew.

There may be a starting/prefered 9.
However if cannot rely on the bench on either day,
therein lies an issue.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi