Batters Box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
No confusion, just confirming, dead ball not foul ball.
USA rule 1 definition of foul ball sub heading F. A batted ball that touches the batter or the bat in the batter's hands a second time while the batter is within the batter's box.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

May 6, 2015
If you are not 100% sure then the proper call is to lean toward not calling the out. I want to be sure when I call an out.

that is how I would lean as well, calling it an out makes huge impact on game, foul ball much less so. it is not like calling a runner out/safe elsewhere, where each side of the call is huge, and those are only choices.

Jul 29, 2013
Let me try to explain this a little more clearly:
If the ball bounces back and hits the batter, it's a dead ball and counted as a strike (treated like a foul ball)
If the batter/runner while advancing, whether in the box or out, makes contact with the ball it is a dead ball out for interference

Who caused the contact with the ball? If it was the ball (in the box) then she's not going to be out; if it was the runner, in the box or out, she's out
Your explanation doesn't have any basis in the rules. No interpretation is necessary. The rules are in plain english.

First...
Rule 8 Batter-Runner and Runner SECTION 1 THE BATTER BECOMES A BATTER-RUNNER ART. 1 . . . A batter becomes a batter-runner with the right to attempt to score by advancing to first, second and third and then home plate in the listed order when: a. she legally hits a fair ball.

But before that...
Rule 2 section 25 NFHS states a ball is foul when it
f. touches the batter or the bat in the batter's hand( s) a second time while the batter is within the batter's box;

Accordingly.... if the ball touches the batter while they are in the batter's box it is foul. The batter cannot become a batter runner because they haven't hit a fair ball.
I don't see anywhere in the rules where a ball can be deemed fair and then make contact with a batter/runner in the batter's box.

May 29, 2015
Your explanation doesn't have any basis in the rules. No interpretation is necessary. The rules are in plain english.

First...
Rule 8 Batter-Runner and Runner SECTION 1 THE BATTER BECOMES A BATTER-RUNNER ART. 1 . . . A batter becomes a batter-runner with the right to attempt to score by advancing to first, second and third and then home plate in the listed order when: a. she legally hits a fair ball.

But before that...
Rule 2 section 25 NFHS states a ball is foul when it
f. touches the batter or the bat in the batter's hand( s) a second time while the batter is within the batter's box;

Accordingly.... if the ball touches the batter while they are in the batter's box it is foul. The batter cannot become a batter runner because they haven't hit a fair ball.
I don't see anywhere in the rules where a ball can be deemed fair and then make contact with a batter/runner in the batter's box.

My presumption (ASSumption?) is that we are talking about a ball that is batted or bunted and “sticks” in the corner of the box. It is not moving and is a fair ball.

Jul 29, 2013
My presumption (ASSumption?) is that we are talking about a ball that is batted or bunted and “sticks” in the corner of the box. It is not moving and is a fair ball.
Is there a rule you could quote?
The one I'm referring to says "the ball is foul when it touches the batter while the batter is in the batter's box." It doesn't say it's not foul if it comes to rest in the corner of the batter's box and touches the batter. And before you go there... NFHS does say something about a batter touching the ball but they refer to intent and if the batter intentionally touches in or out of the box, she is out, but without intent, the ball is simply foul.

Jun 22, 2008
No the nfhs rule does not say if intentional. Rule 8-2, the batter runner shall be called out when:. Art 7 makes contact with a fiar batted ball before reaching first base.

Nowhere does it say only if intentional. The rule is not that difficult and I have said it several times. If the batted ball comes back and hits the batter, it's a dead ball foul. If the batter runner is the one that initiates the contact with a fair batted ball it doesn't matter where it is they are out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
Is there a rule you could quote?
The one I'm referring to says "the ball is foul when it touches the batter while the batter is in the batter's box." It doesn't say it's not foul if it comes to rest in the corner of the batter's box and touches the batter. And before you go there... NFHS does say something about a batter touching the ball but they refer to intent and if the batter intentionally touches in or out of the box, she is out, but without intent, the ball is simply foul.

I was trying to clarify the scenario ... I still don’t think that is clear and I think various people are referring to different situations.

I quoted quite a few NFHS rules several posts back. There are rules that are at odds with one another. People are applying the logic used when the batter drops the bat in play and a second contact happens with the ball.

If the bat is stationary and the ball rolls into the bat, it is nothing and you have a live ball.

If the bat is moving and makes contact with the ball, the batter is out.

It matters which object is moving and causes the contact. People are applying the same concept here.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma