Batters Box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
Let me try to explain this a little more clearly:
If the ball bounces back and hits the batter, it's a dead ball and counted as a strike (treated like a foul ball)
If the batter/runner while advancing, whether in the box or out, makes contact with the ball it is a dead ball out for interference

Who caused the contact with the ball? If it was the ball (in the box) then she's not going to be out; if it was the runner, in the box or out, she's out

Ball goes to the runner in the box - foul/strike

Runner goes to the ball in box - out?

The ball pretty much has to be stationary?

Sep 29, 2014
So exactly how if lets say the batter is moving forward or down the line dragging are you going to determine if the ball had any backward spin on it. So lets say its not a bunt but the batter if standing forward on the box and she bounces the ball off the ground into foot as she is moving forward, I'm just not going to try and split these hairs as an ump, maybe if you are back in the box bunt the ball forward it takes a nice big hop to the front of the box then you run forward into the ball while still in the box OK but it would have to be really obvious and if i'm not 100% sure I'm giving the batter the benefit of the doubt.

Jan 27, 2019
Ball goes to the runner in the box - foul/strike

Runner goes to the ball in box - out?

The ball pretty much has to be stationary?

No, the ball does not have to be stationary. If her step causes the contact with the ball then she's out. If the ball comes back and contacts her she's out. Pretty much, if she's hit while she's running she's probably going to be out. It only takes a step or two to be out of the box, pretty quick. Typically the ball hitting the batter, she's more stationary or hasn't a move toward first.

Jan 27, 2019
So exactly how if lets say the batter is moving forward or down the line dragging are you going to determine if the ball had any backward spin on it. So lets say its not a bunt but the batter if standing forward on the box and she bounces the ball off the ground into foot as she is moving forward, I'm just not going to try and split these hairs as an ump, maybe if you are back in the box bunt the ball forward it takes a nice big hop to the front of the box then you run forward into the ball while still in the box OK but it would have to be really obvious and if i'm not 100% sure I'm giving the batter the benefit of the doubt.

That's your job as an umpire. It's your judgment whether the ball hit the runner or the runner hit the ball. You are there to enforce the rule book. If you are not 100% sure then the proper call is to lean toward not calling the out. I want to be sure when I call an out. But we need to refine our eyes and focus until we can call these. And we need to know the rule so we can explain the ruling. If I cannot explain the rule and my judgment properly then I make your job tougher when you have that coach tomorrow night.

May 29, 2015
This is why you practically have to see a play before offering and answer. I’ll admit I am waffling back and forth despite the rules (which appear to have a blind spot in them).

If the ball is stopped in the fair part of the box and the batter runner kicks or steps on the ball, I’m good with calling her out. If the ball is in the fair part of the box and moving away from the batter runner and she kicks or steps on it, I’m good with calling her out. You are going to have a hard sell, but make the call.

If the ball hits in the fair part of the box and is moving back towards the batter runner, I have to say I am probably going to err of the side of calling it foul.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
So the batter is only protected from contact with the ball if she is in the foul part of the batter's box? So then why say the batter's box offers the hitter any protection at all, just say the ball hit her in foul territory, foul ball: or say it her in fair territory batter is out.

Jun 22, 2008
So the batter is only protected from contact with the ball if she is in the foul part of the batter's box? So then why say the batter's box offers the hitter any protection at all, just say the ball hit her in foul territory, foul ball: or say it her in fair territory batter is out.
No, the batter is protected while in the batter's box if the battwd ball comes back and hits them while they are in the box. If a batter/runner makes contact with a fair batted ball in or out of the batter's box they are out. Very distinct difference here, one you have a batter that the ball comes back and contacts. The other you now have a batter/runner that is the one that makes contact with a fair batted ball. 2 completely different things.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
So batter's stride foot lands in the fair part of the batter's box and she hits a ball down off her foot. Technically this is a dead ball since it hit her in the box, and not a foul ball.

Jun 22, 2008
Yes, what about it? A batted ball that hits the batter, or bounces back and hits the batter is a dead ball and foul. That has nothing to do with a batter/runner making contact with a fair batted ball. You have 2 different situations, one is the ball that is making contact with a batter, the other is a batter runner that is making contact with the fair batted ball. You are not separating the 2 different situations.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Yes, what about it? A batted ball that hits the batter, or bounces back and hits the batter is a dead ball and foul. That has nothing to do with a batter/runner making contact with a fair batted ball. You have 2 different situations, one is the ball that is making contact with a batter, the other is a batter runner that is making contact with the fair batted ball. You are not separating the 2 different situations.

No confusion, just confirming, dead ball not foul ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse