batter/touches ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2011
At tournament this weekend in Columbia SC and during an 18u game of my DD a batter for the other team bunted the ball down first base line. The ball rolled about 12 feet down line and had just appeared to cross into foul territory when the batter/runner kicks ball on way to first base. Ump called foul ball. Was this call right? The trajectory and spin of ball could have easily brought ball back in fair territory.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Correct call. You can't assume where the ball is headed - only where it is when the call has to be made. If the ball is foul, the ball is foul.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
At tournament this weekend in Columbia SC and during an 18u game of my DD a batter for the other team bunted the ball down first base line. The ball rolled about 12 feet down line and had just appeared to cross into foul territory when the batter/runner kicks ball on way to first base. Ump called foul ball. Was this call right? The trajectory and spin of ball could have easily brought ball back in fair territory.

Just as correct as a fielder hitting the ball in foul territory to keep it from coming back fair. :)

Absolutely correct where ever the ball is when contacted that is when the call is made....so contact in foul territory equals foul ball.

At first I thought you were going to say she contacted (kicked) it in fair territory which would have been a little more interesting. I would be interested in hearing opinions on this case.... obviously the ball is fair but now what assuming the kick was NOT intentional.

My assumption would be she is out because she was stuck by a batted ball while in fair territory and not on a base, but every rulebook I look at says in this case the batter/runner is awarded first base, or maybe just that her act while not intentional still interfered with a fielders attempt to make a play which again results in the batter being out which again would be my call.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Absolutely correct where ever the ball is when contacted that is when the call is made....so contact in foul territory equals foul ball.

At first I thought you were going to say she contacted (kicked) it in fair territory which would have been a little more interesting. I would be interested in hearing opinions on this case.... obviously the ball is fair but now what assuming the kick was NOT intentional.

My assumption would be she is out because she was stuck by a batted ball while in fair territory and not on a base, but every rulebook I look at says in this case the batter/runner is awarded first base, or maybe just that her act while not intentional still interfered with a fielders attempt to make a play which again results in the batter being out which again would be my call.

Then you didn't look as ASA. A BR contacted by an untouched fair batted ball is out and all runner return to base occupied at the time of the INT. Intent is irrelevant (8.2.F.4)

Should be the same for NFHS, ISF & NCAA

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
...but every rulebook I look at says in this case the batter/runner is awarded first base...

David - you need to look at the section on the actions of the batter-runner, not the runner.

If a RUNNER interferes, the ball is dead and the BATTER-RUNNER is awarded first base. If the BATTER-RUNNER interferes (which is the subject of this thread) she is out and any other runners return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

David - you need to look at the section on the actions of the batter-runner, not the runner.

If a RUNNER interferes, the ball is dead and the BATTER-RUNNER is awarded first base. If the BATTER-RUNNER interferes (which is the subject of this thread) she is out and any other runners return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

Thanks... I was pretty sure calling her out since she contacted the ball in fair territory was the right call just looking in the wrong section of the rulebook

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
As soon as the ball is touched in fair or foul territory it is 'fair' or 'foul'. The spin or direction of the ball does not matter after it is touched.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1