Bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2011
Which bat would you say is the best for this year? If you need an age then we'll say 14U.

I have always liked the Easton bats such as the Stealth or Synergy.

I saw that Demarini has their 2012 CF5 bats out but haven't read any reviews on them yet.

Aug 4, 2011
My daughter is 14 U moving up 2012 to 16 u. She used a CF4 last season (our USUAL bat is a Miken). DID NOT have a lot good to say as far as the cf4 being any better than any other bat we used. A few team-mates had made the cf5 purchase late in the season and same thing.
I purchased a Xeno TPS 2012 for her. IT WAS... BY FAR... the best bat we have bought so far. Slightly "end loaded". Only thing about them is they sound terrible like shattering glass when hit. Do some research, and Louisville Slugger even says these bats are NOT for beginners, in part because of the sound. The Xeno is HOT out of the wrapper with no break-in needed. GREAT grip is a plus. Would certainly buy again and am probably a slugger fan for bats here on out.
Well worth the expense. We bought a 32/22

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
My daughter is 14 U moving up 2012 to 16 u. She used a CF4 last season (our USUAL bat is a Miken). DID NOT have a lot good to say as far as the cf4 being any better than any other bat we used. A few team-mates had made the cf5 purchase late in the season and same thing.
I purchased a Xeno TPS 2012 for her. IT WAS... BY FAR... the best bat we have bought so far. Slightly "end loaded". Only thing about them is they sound terrible like shattering glass when hit. Do some research, and Louisville Slugger even says these bats are NOT for beginners, in part because of the sound. The Xeno is HOT out of the wrapper with no break-in needed. GREAT grip is a plus. Would certainly buy again and am probably a slugger fan for bats here on out.
Well worth the expense. We bought a 32/22

You're absolutely right! I've been posting the same thing you just said quite a few times on here. They also come in a 9 oz drop.

May 1, 2011
I've heard everyone ranting and raving about the XENO. When they say that the sound is intimidating, THEY'RE NOT KIDDIN'. If you've ever seen "The Color of Money," when Paul Newman breaks at a pool table and the whole place turns their heads to see where that noise came from....yeah....same thing. I also tend to look at what the college girls are swinging. I saw a bunch of Easton Stealth's this past year. The only thing I've heard negative about them is that they can be a little bit fragile.

I do have one bit of advice. Don't listen to someone that says "my daughter was hitting little dribblers in the infield, and then when we switched bats, she started hitting line drives to the outfield." What they're not telling you is that in between those dribblers and line drives, that same little girls spent countless hours getting instruction. The line drives have nothing to do with that "magical bat." Good luck. If you can find a way to demo some bats, I'd definately do that.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
The xeno is a vey hot bat. However I did see one break this spring when ball was struck in on the handle (broke just above the connection point). The sweet spot is quite small on the xeno and miss hits do not travel far. My DD(9yo) tried the xeno but still prefers the synergy. The synergy has a large sweet spot and you cant beat their durability.

Sep 29, 2010
We just received a Xeno 32/22 for my daughter.

Prior to this season I had bought her a brand new Easton Stealth SCN7B which is a very hot pre abi -9 bat. She also had a 33/23 SSR3B Easton Stealth -10 in her bag which she has used a couple of times but didn't like. (We traded it for the Xeno.) Also, last season she used a 2010 Demarini CF4 which she really liked, but I was worried about durability issues. Prior to that she used a Rip-It Elite REFP1 in a 31/22 size for 3 seasons. That is her all time favorite bat. So we have experience with a variety of newer and older bats.

So the other night when we got the Xeno we went to the field and did our tee work and everything and then did front toss like we always do.

The first bucket we did with the Stealth 7B.

The second bucket we did with the Xeno.

I can tell you, with certainty, that my daughter was putting anywhere from 15 to 30 more feet on her hits with the Xeno over the 7B to all parts of the field.

The balls also sounded different...they sizzled when they flew by on sharply hit line drives. I hadn't noticed that on hits off the 7B.

Right now, I believe the Xeno is hotter than her SCN7B, however, the SCN7B has only been in use for 4 months so its no where near being broken in being that its a Pre-ABI bat.

Also of note. The Xeno weighs in heavier than the sticker weight. I weighed the 7B which is supposed to be a 32/23 and it weighed in at 22.6 ounces. I weighed the Xeno and it weighed in at 22.75 ounces.

We plan to keep the 7B in the bag until summer ball again since they aren't getting any cheaper or easier to find and use the Xeno this fall and possibly for her freshman year of school.

If you can ignore the sound of the Xeno it is the BEST new bat out right now.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
DD (14U) switched from a Catalyst to a CF5 this year after cracking her catalyst. We tried lots of bats, there is a great local store that lets you take the bats to the loading dock and swing them. DD preferred the feel of the CF5 (33/23) It feels faster than her 32/22 Catalyst. The point is that choosing a bat is a personal preference. Pretty much all the top end bats are going to have great pop out of the wrapper and should all have a decent life span. They will have variations in how they feel in the hands, the DDs need to find what feels right to them.

Sep 3, 2009
I also tend to look at what the college girls are swinging.

I wouldn't put too much stock in that. College softball programs are at the mercy of the contracts that the AD signs with whatever sporting goods manufacturer. They use the brand that the school has a contract with, not their personal preference.

May 1, 2011
I wouldn't put too much stock in that. College softball programs are at the mercy of the contracts that the AD signs with whatever sporting goods manufacturer. They use the brand that the school has a contract with, not their personal preference.

So...by that rationale, it really doesn't matter what type of bat you use? Just playing devil's advocate a little here. I'm not saying that I believe that everyone playing for Florida necessarily CHOSE to swing an Easton Stealth at all. What I am suggesting is that I highly doubt any bat producing company is going to put an inferior product in someone's hands that is going to be on television. So, when I say I pay attention to what they're swinging, it's because I know that Miken, Lousiville, Easton, Anderson, Mizuno, and whoever else isn't going to give them the scraps from out back.

Sep 3, 2009
So...by that rationale, it really doesn't matter what type of bat you use? Just playing devil's advocate a little here. I'm not saying that I believe that everyone playing for Florida necessarily CHOSE to swing an Easton Stealth at all. What I am suggesting is that I highly doubt any bat producing company is going to put an inferior product in someone's hands that is going to be on television. So, when I say I pay attention to what they're swinging, it's because I know that Miken, Lousiville, Easton, Anderson, Mizuno, and whoever else isn't going to give them the scraps from out back.

I wouldn't say that either... these girls have all played at the upper levels of amateur softball (gold, etc), and know what kind of stick they like; then in college they're handed what the school is contractually obligated to use. I can think of a certain SEC school, where all the players hate the bats. Not much they can do about. Doesn't mean they're any better, just means the school signed a contract with the manufacturer. The schools that are signed with Wilson for example, aren't going to supply the teams with their low end models, they'll have the top of the line composites that they make. But that doesn't mean that Demarinis are the best bat, and that's why that team uses them. It simply means that school is signed with Wilson, so they have to use Demarini. That's all it means.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1