Bats with RIF balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2014
Inland Empire
Hey everyone, finally decided to post on here after reading a lot of info on everything softball related. Lots of great info... Anyways just curious if the composite bats out there make a difference vs a regular aluminum bat when using the RIF balls. My daughters play second yr 8U & 2nd yr 10u rec ball If that makes a difference.. Both divisions use the RIF balls. This is both their second year playing & are starting to get serious. Contemplating in investing in better equipment do them at the end of the summer... Any info would be great. Thanks!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have held the belief that RIF balls respond better to a more rigid bat (such as alloy). Recently, however, that belief has started to waver. Using a CF5 for hitting grounders and flies during a pre-game warm-up, I was surprised at how fast the ball (11" RIF) was coming off the bat and how far the ball was flying compared to the random alloy bats I usually grab. I'm starting to change my belief a bit. I think the harder balls get MORE benefit with a good composite bat, but the RIF balls seem to do better, too.

That said, not all composite bats are created equal, and some of the middle range models don't seem to be an improvement (IME) over alloy in terms of hit distance. With RIF balls, my DD's Demarini Vendetta didn't seem any hotter than her Combat Fernandez (alloy barrel, composite handle). With harder balls (i.e. Dream Seam), the Vendetta did stand out a bit.

One place that the composite bats do seem to have an advantage - no matter which ball - is vibration at the handle.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
This is normally what I would answer to that. If you are ONLY hitting RIF balls and not doing anything with real balls, than no reason to spend top dollar on a comp bat to just hit a RIF that you can do just as well with a cheaper metal. Even if you think the comp might hit a couple feet farther, is it worth the 200 bucks more for the bat?

Now, if you are going to be playing other leagues or tournys with real softballs, then I would go composite and just use the comp playing with the RIF ball as well. The little advantage that metal has isnt worth using a cheap metal in real ball games.

Hope that came off sorta sensible and understandable...haha

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
My initial thoughts....

Your local league should not be using RIF balls at 10U. They should be using 11" leather.

Outside of that....it's July. At this point of the year I would consider sticking with what you have, or buy a 1/2-1/2 bat that doesn't break your wallet; one that your girls like the looks and feel of.

This is the bat they will play with in the Fall, and train with all winter.

Next Spring (late winter), after they grow, get stronger and their swings get more fundamentally sound you can revisit the subject. The bat you buy them now, might be too small and "not cool" next year.

But at their age and experience I wouldn't do more than a 1/2-12 bat...a bat that fits properly and one they like the looks of is more important right now...IMO.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

T

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Your local league should not be using RIF balls at 10U. They should be using 11" leather.

In So Cal, 11" RIF is pretty common for 10U rec leagues and all-star tournaments. This year, we had an even split of tournaments with RIF and Dream Seam balls.

Getting a league to change balls is a MUCH bigger challenge than picking a bat that does best with the balls currently in use. ;)

Feb 7, 2013
Agree with Eric. When DD was 8 and using a RIF ball, bought her an entry level composite bat, Easton Synge, and noticed she could hit the ball noticeably farther and harder right out of the wrapper than her old aluminum bat. Her teammates called it the "magic bat" and always borrowed it. I'm sure the larger sweet spot and extra length (1 inch) had something to do with it but I believe the spring like effect of the composite material also helped her get extra distance. The bottom line is hitting is about confidence and if the girls think the composite is helping them gain distance, I would look for last years composite models that are cheaper even when using a RIF ball.

FYI. At 10u nationals last summer, the 11inch ball used was all leather and having most of our team using composite bats was a bonus. All previous tournaments were RIF.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Agree with Eric. When DD was 8 and using a RIF ball, bought her an entry level composite bat, Easton Synge, and noticed she could hit the ball noticeably farther and harder right out of the wrapper than her old aluminum bat. Her teammates called it the "magic bat" and always borrowed it. I'm sure the larger sweet spot and extra length (1 inch) had something to do with it but I believe the spring like effect of the composite material also helped her get extra distance. The bottom line is hitting is about confidence and if the girls think the composite is helping them gain distance, I would look for last years composite models that are cheaper even when using a RIF ball.

FYI. At 10u nationals last summer, the 11inch ball used was all leather and having most of our team using composite bats was a bonus. All previous tournaments were RIF.

My DD used a Synge for 8U, too. It was definitely hotter than the alloy bats with the 10" RIF balls. That was a good little bat.

Jul 3, 2014
Inland Empire
Thanks for all the replies. Yeah in SoCal they play with RIF balls in our rec league until 10U. Both my girls are playing on their prospective all star teams & they'll be playing until the end of this month. Then it's a couple of months break until winter ball. I was thinking of trying to pick up a couple of used comp bats from my girls' hitting coach who also coaches tb....so I'm not breaking the bank. Maybe during the break & winter ball we can see the difference. Great info though everyone, thanks a million!

Jul 4, 2014
go for the composite

Definitely go for the composite bat. Especially if it's a RIF 1 or even a tad softer ball they're hitting. Just going by what I figured to be common sense (*No real "trampoline" effect to be had by what composites have to offer; it's not an official hard ball*) we had our daughter play with her regular aluminum alloy bat all the way up until our last couple post-season/allstar games...

Boy, were we wrong. I wish we hadn't waited that long to let her try a friend's bat. Even with the tournament balls--slightly softer/spongier than a brand new RIF 1, but harder than a worn-in one--she consistently hit with more power and just above line drives over the defense, vs the grounders and plain line drives she'd been hitting. I wouldn't break the budget, but definitely invest in a decent composite...unless you know for a fact, she's continuing on for years to come. In which case, go crazy.

Last edited: