Mental Aspect and support

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2019
I have read several posts about Dads trying to help their DD develop both mental and physical abilities for the game. That is what we are supposed to do...I think. Anyways, I never thought I would be that pain in the rear dad who constantly corrected their daughters. I was always "No, hold it like this...do this and not that..." and on and on. I was ruining the game by being that dad...and I never intended to be that way. My middle DD played on a travel 8u team this past summer. She was a true 7 year old and doing well. But she needed more. She hit the ball really well, threw well, and ran the bases well. But she had so many issues with simple things like catching a simple line drive throw and had big problems with fly balls. So I decided one day, "no more harping". I just stopped. I still played catch with her, she still had practice and enjoyed them with her team and loved the games - loved the camaraderie and competition. But I stopped correcting everything. I quit lecturing when she was batting. I think I made her nervous...I gave her too much info for such a young mind and 7 year old body full of athletic ability. Here is what happened. She figured so much out by just listening to her great coaches and playing catch with her teammates - and I just tried positive reinforcement. When she was batting, I would say nothing but maybe "wait for your pitch" and of course "TO THE OUTFIELD!" which always makes her laugh and relaxes her a bit. Nothing negative and nothing after she entered the box. She started hitting the ball so much better and so much harder. Before she took to the field (she played Center) I would say simply "Nothing behind you." And she started excelling. Nothing got behind her...she was diving for balls...knew where to throw the ball when she got it. Started excelling at several parts of the game. She learned faster. She was relaxed. I still have advice, but I am just not so pushy. I think it helped her love to play more. Maybe I am wrong. But so far it works. Just a thought. Anyone else try to change your approach to what you were doing?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I try to rein it in a little. Have even sat in the outfield on occasion. Try to keep my comments positive and vague. No "back elbow up, see the ball, stay in your posture, extension. Dont forget extension!"

More " see a line drive happen" or " you got this" or " have fun"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28