Bat Speed!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

wjp

Oct 12, 2009
I coach a 10U and was wondering if anyone had some good bat speed drills they could offer?

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I'm working with a group of 9's & 10's myself. Just starting them off actually. Taking Little Leaguers and doing a little travel this year. Regarding bat speed, I would personally recommend not worrying about it and concentrating on swing mechanics. Therein lies the key to bat speed and the rest. Every year I hear parents and coaches yelling from the stands and dugouts when kids are late:

"Quicker bat", "Choke up", "Start earlier", "Use a lighter bat"...but almost always the problem is poor mechanics and BAT DRAG.
At full speed and off the tee even you may not recognize it but look at this video of the kids I am working with (WARNING: There is a lot of bat drag here. My DD is #6 in the video in all black):

object>

Just an observation from my experience. Perhaps others have tips regarding bat speed but I would check this first.

May 12, 2008
Good post by lhowser. wjp, to me, asking what drills will help batspeed is like me saying "I'm going to the Amazon to help the indigenous people, what would be some good medicines to give them doctor?" The doctor is going to tell you that you are going to do more harm than good. I'd suggest focusing on the team aspects while you send yourself to school to learn what you need to know. I'll be happy to give you a starter kit suggestion if you like.

Like Howser alluded to, bat speed is easy. It's getting that bat speed quickly that's hard.

Apr 20, 2009
Philippines
It's correct that proper mechanics should be established first before adding any increase of power or speed. Conditioning your core and legs is a good way to help on your rotation. For hitting drills,swinging on light and heavy bats is a good drill. Here's the link to check on how to do the drill correctly

May 12, 2008
I agree with all that. I'd like to expand on my recommendation of quick as the goal rather than bat speed. It's possible to have very high bat speed with a swing entirely unsuitable for success against good pitching. For instance, men's major slow pitch hitters have much higher bat speeds than MLB hitters. However, they have virtually no time constraint within which they have to produce that bat speed. MLB hitters, and successful fp hitters, trade some bat speed for quickness. This is critical. Quickness is commonly measured by counting the number of frames in standard 30 fps/frames per second video starting from the first movement of the bathead into the swing plane till contact. A typical youth swing would be seven frames or .233 seconds. A world class swing would be between four and five frames or .15 seconds. If that doesn't sound like much, consider that's, if I have my math right, about fifteen more feet of ball flight at sixty mph. Imagine having to make your swing decision fifteen feet, even ten feet, sooner than you do now. Or, if you have a typical youth swing, imagine being able to watch the ball for ten to fifteen more feet before you have to commit. The goal therefore, should be as much bat speed as you can generate in five frames or less. Get the mechanics reasonable at slower speeds, ramp it up checking for regression to old patterns with video, and then work on getting quicker and quicker. Then start challenging the hitter with live bp, changes of speed, changes of spin etc. Now of course you need to grade on the curve for age and ability but quicker today than yesterday but not as quick as tomorrow would be my suggestion for a goal.

Oct 29, 2008
Outstanding point by Mark, as always. Quickness is so important.

Just to highlight his math - the release point for an elite FP pitcher is something like 37 feet. A low-to-mid 60's pitch takes about 0.40 seconds to reach the front of the plate. If a pitch takes 40/100s of a second to reach the plate, then it is essentially traveling 1 foot each 1/100th of a second.

As Mark points out, a "typical" youth swing takes about 22/100 of a second, and an elite swing takes between 12/100 and 15/100 of a second. Let's say it's about 14/100. That means the elite hitter can watch the pitch for another 8 feet before making a decision of whether / where to swing. So the elite hitter can watch the pitch for approximately 26 feet (from release) before deciding whether to swing. And WHERE to swing. The typical youth hitter can only watch it for 18 feet. That is simply an astonishing difference.

Best regards,

Scott

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877