Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
At anytime BigSky.. jump in. Love to hear your thoughts on this
Had to go back through the posting a bit. Appears to be two basic opinions being discussed (a lot of the time argued). Both have validity and will use either in order for a hitter to be comfortable and successful.

As far as Bonds and Yelich bouncing balls off the front of the plate, if it works for them, wonderful. That is a drill that has been around for decades. The reason it appears to be something new to most is that few do it.

May 12, 2016
Had to go back through the posting a bit. Appears to be two basic opinions being discussed (a lot of the time argued). Both have validity and will use either in order for a hitter to be comfortable and successful.

As far as Bonds and Yelich bouncing balls off the front of the plate, if it works for them, wonderful. That is a drill that has been around for decades. The reason it appears to be something new to most is that few do it.
So what's the purpose of it and/or what do you think it promotes? Why do so few do it? And if it works for a caliber hitter like Yelich.. don't you think that's a little bit of a flippant comment.. "If it works for them, wonderful". Wouldn't you want to know why it works for them?

Apr 11, 2015
Below is a pretty good article about what I have been posting about the last couple of days, please read it and tell me what you think.

Anyone else who has been following along or participated please read also and share your thoughts....

My take away is don’t coach out their natural tendencies aka don’t let the brain get in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's a reason for the term, "Running around like a chicken with its head cut off"....that was probably around a lot longer, didn't come out of some Frankensteinian laboratory somewhere, and the fellow had overalls on instead of a lab coat. :)

But yes, the article is basically correct in its underlying message, although I believe there are a couple of misleading assumptions being made that can lead the layperson astray, and thus make more out of somethings than they should be in their overall autonomic movement theories..swinging a bat not being an exception.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
1. It's good to be curious, but isn't the answer obvious to your question?
2. If you understand and learn the cause.. the effect is the result.
My point exactly. Why are you (anyone in general really) trying to teach an "effect" rather than the underlying "cause"?

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
So what's the purpose of it and/or what do you think it promotes? Why do so few do it? And if it works for a caliber hitter like Yelich.. don't you think that's a little bit of a flippant comment.. "If it works for them, wonderful". Wouldn't you want to know why it works for them?
It makes them comfortable.

It makes them uncomfortable.

I've known since the 90's

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2015
South East
There's a reason for the term, "Running around like a chicken with its head cut off"....that was probably around a lot longer, didn't come out of some Frankensteinian laboratory somewhere, and the fellow had overalls on instead of a lab coat. :)

But yes, the article is basically correct in its underlying message, although I believe there are a couple of misleading assumptions being made that can lead the layperson astray, and thus make more out of somethings than they should be in their overall autonomic movement theories..swinging a bat not being an exception.

Like what?

May 12, 2016
My point exactly. Why are you (anyone in general really) trying to teach an "effect" rather than the underlying "cause"?
Mudders are you trying to twist and turn things in an attempt to cause confusion... you being the cause, effect being the confusion?

Good sequence and posture being cause, effect being good barrel path.. I said many times I would start with sequence and posture if teaching.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
It makes them comfortable.

It makes them uncomfortable.

I've known since the 90's
I'll ask again because that makes no sense, please elaborate on question 3

1. So what's the purpose of it and/or what do you think it promotes?
2. Why do so few do it?
3. And if it works for a caliber hitter like Yelich.. don't you think that's a little bit of a flippant comment.. "If it works for them, wonderful". Wouldn't you want to know why it works for them?

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
I'll ask again because that makes no sense, please elaborate on question 3

1. So what's the purpose of it and/or what do you think it promotes?
2. Why do so few do it?
3. And if it works for a caliber hitter like Yelich.. don't you think that's a little bit of a flippant comment.. "If it works for them, wonderful". Wouldn't you want to know why it works for them?
1. It makes them comfortable working their hand path.
2. It makes them uncomfortable working their hand path.
3. I'm old. Been coaching since the mid 1980's. That's an old drill.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi