Bat Path

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Personally I see a bit of everything.. so this discussion Obliques vs Hip Extension confuses me a little. I see the obliques being used and I see hip extension into the ball as well. IDK, maybe I'm really off the rails here. But can't we have a combo of both happening here? Obliques to start .. hip extension to finish?

May 3, 2014
Do you mean the obliques allow the for the barrel to flatten out during the contraction ?
Yup. Bottom hand gets flat. Knob gets pulled out from under barrel. Appearance of TTB. So much easier for hitters to feel the syncing of the bottom hand and obliques.

jmA9iD.gif

Reactions: TDS
May 3, 2014
Personally I see a bit of everything.. so this discussion Obliques vs Hip Extension confuses me a little. I see the obliques being used and I see hip extension into the ball as well. IDK, maybe I'm really off the rails here. But can't we have a combo of both happening here? Obliques to start .. hip extension to finish?
Turn the pelvis (hips) away from the rear leg using the lead oblique flank area (the area under the ribs and above the hip bone). I wrapped an exercise band around the rear leg of a couple of hitters last night right above the knee and pulled against the rear leg so they could feel the pelvis get turned away from rear leg.

Edit - changed description to avoid getting ticketed by muscle police.

Reactions: TDS
May 12, 2016
Turn the pelvis (hips) away from the rear leg using the lead oblique. I wrapped an exercise band around the rear leg of a couple of hitters last night right above the knee and pulled against the rear leg so they could feel the pelvis get turned away from rear leg.
Yep I've felt that many times.. do you believe once you started this action there is no option left for the hitter to extend the hips into the ball?

Also sounds like a great exercise to understand that feeling