Bat dilemma

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2016
My daughter is 4'3" and weighs 70-75lbs. Working on building up power but at her age and size my main concern is her speed. Looking for a new bat and highly considering Demarini Bustos at 29"/16oz (-13). I'm worried it may be too light. To me a 28 seems to fit her better, but I don't want her reaching either. Suggestions please!!

Mar 20, 2015
We bought the Bustos last year and DD didn't like it. It is a 2 piece bat and feels like there is too much flex in the middle of the bat when you hit the ball hard.

Feb 16, 2016
She's 9. Will be 10 in August. We haven't started practice yet and I really wanted to get her one and start working her with it before. I've tried finding somewhere for her to demo but no luck. We live in northeast Texas.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
If I remember correctly my DD was swinging a 29-18 CF-5 at that size. The Demarini -11's are great bats for the smaller girls but cost a little more than others.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD had that Bustos in 10U and hit the snot out of it. Lots of LDs to the OF. It doesn't cost an arm and leg and you can find used ones for 1/2 price.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD had the predecessor of the Bustos and did well with it. The handle itself has a huge amount of flex which actually translates through the connection point to create extra whip of the barrel and bat speed. This negates some of the problems associated with the lack of mass behind the ball. I currently have 2 students about your DD's size. The newer one has been with me for 4 months, is a little bigger than yours and I have her swinging a 29/18. The other student is 8 YO, has been with me for almost 2 years, is a bout the same height, weighs about 65 lbs. and plays TB at the 10U level. I have her swinging a 31/21. She has no problem doing it and I have yet to see a 10U pitcher blow it by her.

What it comes down to is the difference in the quality of the mechanics and not the size of the bat. Invest in a reputable hitting coach to increase your DD's bat speed and power and then purchase the appropriate size for her ability.

ETA: Many good suggestions have already been made as to models. Stick with a -11 29/18 size bat and try to stay at entry level pricing since as her mechanics get better, her bat will need to also in order to take full advantage of it.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If it was my DD I would buy a 30/20 and get her to start using it at practice. She will quickly grow into it and the sooner the better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06