Bat recommendation for 8U/10U TB, please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 14, 2014
Dd just turned 8 yesterday. She's 4'4" and 60#. She's played rec tee ball 2 years and 8u 2 years always using the "Walmart special" (actually Academy, but same thing) alloys chosen for the color. It seems that every time I buy a new bat, she has a growth spurt. In April, she moved up to a 28" -11.5. Well, it's now too small and light. She's a power hitter, usually hitting to the outfield except for when she drops her shoulder, but that's a whole other thread. She has started practicing with a new TB team that is playing 8u for the summer and then having to age up to 10u. So, it's time to get a more serious bat. The first tournament is July 11-13, so I need to get one ASAP.

I've had her swing her brother's old 29 and 30 bats in various drops. Plus, today I took her to our local small sporting goods store to look and she swung some. The 29s look perfect for her build today. The 30s look almost there, but still a bit off. I hate to buy a new bat for her to outgrow it in a couple of months, but I probably will, won't I?

I have read and reread threads here until my eyes are crossed. I've been checking prices online. I would love to get some recommendations for a good composite that is reasonably priced and won't take longer to break in than she can use it. Thanks in advance for any help!

Jan 25, 2011
Just because I see you put in your post about dropping her shoulder. You have come to the right place. You need to start reading the threads about hitting. You can't hit with out dropping your shoulder, swing level is another one you need to be aware of.

Feb 14, 2014
Just because I see you put in your post about dropping her shoulder. You have come to the right place. You need to start reading the threads about hitting. You can't hit with out dropping your shoulder, swing level is another one you need to be aware of.

It's more her dropping her whole right side and swinging up and under the ball causing a straight pop up. I just started referring to it as dropping her shoulder when I was explaining it to her because that's how she understood what she was doing, that's how she says it feels instead of her "normal" swing.

Aug 20, 2013
Depends what you want to spend but a Demarini -11 sounds like a good fit for her. They swing light so you may be able to go with the 30"

Jan 25, 2011
It's more her dropping her whole right side and swinging up and under the ball causing a straight pop up. I just started referring to it as dropping her shoulder when I was explaining it to her because that's how she understood what she was doing, that's how she says it feels instead of her "normal" swing.
I know you are asking for bat info, but I would like to know what her normal swing is? Find the threads about turning the barrel and a thread about tilt in the swing.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
My 8yo, 69#, 4'5" dd has been swinging a cf5 30-11 for almost a year. It was a little heavy when we started using it but she hits pretty well with it now. And I think she can use it for another year. I bought it used for $125.

JME. Not saying this will work for you. Good luck!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 106

iFastpitch

All Out, All Day
Apr 28, 2014
The Diamonds
Demarini Sprite would be my first choice as well. After that would come the Easton Synge and Mizuno Frenzy Super Lite. Those are the three bats I have seen used by smaller hitters. Of course, Louisville Slugger just released their 2015 X12 if you really have a hole burning in your pocket. ;)

I'm more of a 12U/14U guy but I do see a lot of 10U ball due to scouting. I've been doing this more years than I care to admit, and in all those years, I've never seen a more perfect fit in terms of equipment for an age group than the various DeMarini CFs in -11. It just seem to fit so many younger players well that it is always the first thing I recommend whenever someone wants to make the jump to a "real" composite bat.

My preference in the -11 is probably the CF6. It is a rocket-launcher and the several I've seen have held up really, really well. I have been very close to about four of them that have well over 2,000 hits on them and they are still completely on fire.

The CF5 version is also good, but appears to me to have an ever-so-slightly smaller sweet spot than the CF6.

I've only been around the CF7 version for a short while so I can't give you a detailed opinion on it. However, it seems to be pretty hot out of the wrapper and have slightly different feel at contact than the CF6. The energy of the hit, according to my girls, seems to be dissipated in "waves" that they can feel. It doesn't sting their hands, but does feel "weird," as they are fond of pointing out.

If you go the -10 route in the DeMarini, all three models are OK. I think I'd look for a CF5 online somewhere since she is likely to outgrow this first bat rather quickly.

Louisville Slugger is coming out with a new -11 Xeno any day now. Since it is a new model, you'll have to pay quite a bit for it. If the 2014 Xeno is any indication of what the 2015s will be, that would be a good choice, as well. The balance will be a bit different than the CFs but she should be able to adjust at her age.

Last, the Louisville Slugger LXT -10 swings light and is hotter than a firecracker. If you could find one in her size (2014s on closeout right now!), you'd have a top-of-class bat she could use for awhile.

Personally, if the 29" bat works for her right now, that's what I'd go with. I'd buy her one knowing it will need to be replaced soon. Forget about the expense .... she is growing and if you want to keep up with her, you have to spend money. Sell the 29" for $100 - $125 when the time comes to get her a 30" bat and be happy you got something back out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207