Basketball hitting drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Drill looks like it would be effective in terms of developing a chicken-wing mechanic, avoiding whip mechanics, limiting energy transfer to the barrel, getting the lead arm to quickly take the barrel out of the hitting zone and developing a clubing-like action.

29wl1zr.gif

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I believe that with the TCB balls, you get the benefits you're looking for in such drills without the danger of it. We've done a lot of TCB over the last 2 years and we've had zero problems in terms of forearm/wrist pain or injuries.

Note aside: Trying to hit a TCB ball in the opposite field is quite a challenge. Once that is mastered, they have a much easier time doing it with real ball.

Coach Marc

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Its because of the hard recoil and the shock to the wrists, that I think that less than 14u or HS should probably not do this drill. Colleges may like it because the girls are fully grown and have many years of playing and therefore have stronger wrists and arms. So the likelihood of injury is minimal.

Mar 7, 2012
PA
I actually ran into a player I used to coach last year at a tournament, she had a cast on so I asked what happened. Like the above video they were using full size basketballs and she boke her wrist doing soft toss basketabll drills .. Not really sure how but luckily for me I had just bought some TCB balls at a acoaching clinic and our team stuck with them and dropped the basketball.

Jan 24, 2011
Drill looks like it would be effective in terms of developing a chicken-wing mechanic, avoiding whip mechanics, limiting energy transfer to the barrel, getting the lead arm to quickly take the barrel out of the hitting zone and developing a clubing-like action.

29wl1zr.gif

I actually met this guy (Nemo) at a clinic one time. He is a high energy guy and a real salesman. Does a good job promoting himself. But , he is a little odd. I think he is from FFS neck of the woods (Oregon)

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
We gave up the heavy balls, hitting basketballs, MUHL bags. My dd got in a habit of bracing her elbow into her side. Worked ok, but I want to see her throwing the bat through contact.

Sep 29, 2014
Did not plow through thread but count me in the NOT a fan column.

There are so many better things hitters could be doing with their time

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00