Basketball hitting drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You want to avoid coming to a complete stop such as hitting a tire or a basket ball. Talk to your orthopedic surgeon and ask what it does to your shoulder, elbow and wrist ESPECIALLY on the younger kids you are forcing this drill on!

There are other ways to strengthen the wrists and forearms than subjecting them to this drill. Learn a proper hand path and just swing the bat if you want to increase bat speed.

We recommend swinging a heavy bat or use Edge Weighted Gloves. Above from Howard/Hitter, but I could cut and paste many posts from another site from many different hitting coaches.. True story. We had a 16U team at a clinic and they were all complaining of having sore shoulders. Bustos asked what are you doing hitting basketballs ? All the parents at once stated yes!

'Red - bold' above ... nice! ... glad to see that.

'Black - bold' above ..... that got me to chuckle.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I know that not all schools use this drill. I really dont know how many do. But , my observation was that I have seen it at the camps of some top D1 schools. Actually , the last one I was at , they were hitting the Muhl balls (which I think are 1 lb each) So , is it just personal preference?

Understand that many college teams use these camps as a fund raising event.

Hitting basketballs seems powerful and exciting to many. Come back next year for some more excitement. Caaa-chinnnggggg!

Jan 24, 2011
Understand that many college teams use these camps as a fund raising event.

Hitting basketballs seems powerful and exciting to many. Come back next year for some more excitement. Caaa-chinnnggggg!

Might be true in some cases. But , I really dont believe that to be the case at the last one I went to. To each his own

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Might be true in some cases. But , I really dont believe that to be the case at the last one I went to. To each his own

Most college camps are "annual events". Without routine feedback there is no way to tell if a hitter, or their instructor, has interpreted the information correctly. Many colleges do try to give good information, but the event generally is performed as a money making event ... and they care about the participants having a positive experience, and spreading the word, so as to have repeat business the following years.

Jan 24, 2011
Most college camps are "annual events". Without routine feedback there is no way to tell if a hitter, or their instructor, has interpreted the information correctly. Many colleges do try to give good information, but the event generally is performed as a money making event ... and they care about the participants having a positive experience, and spreading the word, so as to have repeat business the following years.

I dont disagree with you. But , in some instances , I do trust the instruction.

Jan 24, 2011
Yes ... of course .... "trust, but verify" ... that was Ronald Reagen's approach when dealing with the Soviet Union ... and it works in softball as well ... the Hanson Principle is a helpful tool in that regard.

I understand you dont like the drill. That is fine. That is really all I asked for

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thank you. So , just like any other drill done correctly , it could have value

Absolutely!

My issue with the drill is that I have to continuously remind hitters about the function of the wrists when doing something like this. In a large group, as I walk around the cage, a hitter can go without proper feedback and drift to a muscling approach. IMO this drill needs continuous watching and feedback.

Notice that the girl performing the drill asks the instructor if they should still be thinking “knob to the ball”. The instructor says “yes”. It was my opinion that the hitter was abandoning that concept when doing the drill, and hence why she asked the question. The instructor had a golden opportunity to give the right feedback ... but she missed it. Much of the force is generated prior to contact, and actual contact is about transferring energy to the barrel.

The wrists are hugely important ... something that Ted Williams stressed at length.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA