Baserunning - Rocker start vs others?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I typically teach my players to use the rocker start-heel of the lead foot on the leading edge of the bag (cleats in the dirt) like Jessica mendoza demonstrates here: they can blast off the bag like a sprinter coming out of the starting blocks.

I have seen some girls start with their foot nested up beside the bag and I'm wondering why some choose not to do the rocker start? IMHO - the rocker start is best because it allows the runner to get started early and leave the bag at the earliest possible moment with their foot starting off closer to the destination and pointing in the right direction.

During my short track career in HS, the rocker start most closely resembles the start employed by sprinters

Jul 28, 2008
Ken posted awhile back to get out a video camera and film the girls with both starts, then compare them. I believe his girls got faster leads with the baseball start.

Feb 17, 2011
We tested it out too and the Baseball style start with back foot on bag like a start block was quicker and led to more consistant timing with release of the pitch IMO

Mar 13, 2010
I vaguely remember what Ken posted, but I personally feel that the one shown by Mendoza is the best.

You have the bonus of getting a start before the ball leaves the hand (my state in Australia taught the baseball start for base running. They're the Australian players who get called out for leaving early) You get that extra step with the rocking start.

Jul 26, 2010
Ken's post is in his tips category at the bottom of the home page.

A lot of younger teams will have their runners back foot against the side of the bag for two reasons: 1, the kids are shorter and that's actually comfortable for them, and 2, some kids have a tendency to lift their front foot for whatever reason before they run (like a cow). By having the back foot against the bag, it keeps them from being out should this happen. It's still a "rocker start", the back leg just isn't as far back.

I agree that the baseball start is quicker, however the advantage of the rocker start is that the front foot remains on the bag (safe) during the entire first step, so runners can actually "leave early" without actually leaving early.

-W

Mar 13, 2010
Rocking and sprinter stances are different?

I would have thought the sprinter stance was the same as the rocking one, as sprinters don't start with their legs in front.

We used to be taught to get as low as possible for that reason.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Rocking and sprinter stances are different?
I'm pretty sure that the "sprinter start" referred to starts with the rear foot touching the base. On that note, with a quicker start and the fact that you are starting one stride closer to the next base it would result in a faster time 1B-2B. then again, the track sprinter's start drives off his front foot so in softball with the Rocker start, by the time the foot comes off the bag there's already forward momentum-a running start as it were.

I didn't read the whole thread but i read Ken's post and he was talking about runners leaving the bag late with the rocker start, resulting in a .133 second difference. What he says makes sense and I buy it. I could do the test and find out, but my athletes aren't that elite and for that difference I'd rather stick with the "safer" start.

Reaction/timing can vary from player to player and the rocker start gives you some wiggle room. Also our Umps are not that adept- one ump per game calling balls and strikes as well as watching the runners. With the sprinter start, one twitch and you're off the bag so leaving early would be easier to pick up. While the Rocker Start may not enable the optimum start off the bag, it can still enable an excellent start and a much lower incidence of appearing to leave the bag early.

Thank you for the link and the excellent responses here. went in a different direction than I anticipated and I learned something to boot!

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Reaction/timing can vary from player to player and the rocker start gives you some wiggle room. Also our Umps are not that adept- one ump per game calling balls and strikes as well as watching the runners. With the sprinter start, one twitch and you're off the bag so leaving early would be easier to pick up. While the Rocker Start may not enable the optimum start off the bag, it can still enable an excellent start and a much lower incidence of appearing to leave the bag early.

I've been called out when still on the base. Sometimes the umpires just aren't that good.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Actullay Ken's post was a repost from about 3 years ago. I will try to find the study done by Team USA showing times based on different starts. The Rocker won. It is common sense. Are you faster with a moving start or a start from the blocks. Since I ran the sprints in track in my youth I can tell you which one I would take and why we always tried to beat the gun. The baseball start is not quicker and many studies have proven it is not! This is just one of many.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie