Using the pitcher's rubber

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Here is another article That was published a few years back. I hope you find it useful.

USING THE PITCHER'S RUBBER ã 1999,2001

When a pitcher starts their forward momentum and pushes off, they will either do it from the pitcher's rubber or from the dirt just in front of the rubber. Have you ever given much thought as to why the pitcher's rubber is there?

The pitcher's rubber is there, basically, for two reasons;

1. So officials have a raised, visible point of reference to ensure conformance among pitchers in regards to the pitching distance and other pitching regulations.

2. It is also there to provide a raised, level, flat, solid and permanent surface for the pitcher to push off from.

Have you ever watched a track and field event? Have you ever noticed the starting blocks the runners push off from when they first take off? They provide a raised, solid and stationary surface to push off from. If they tried to take off from the dirt without these blocks, they would slip and fall on their face, even with metal cleats. A dirt surface does not provide good traction for forward force/momentum.

The pitcher's rubber is basically a starting block for a pitcher. There is a reason the rulebooks refer to one foot as 'The pivot foot' and the other as the 'Non-pivot foot'.

The ball of your foot is the pivot point for your foot when doing any type of pushing motion. It is the point on your foot where you can utilize the maximum pushing effort because it is the strongest point of your foot to push from.

The front top edge of the rubber is the pivot point of the pitcher's rubber. To achieve the maximum potential of pushing force, these two pivot points must be in direct contact with each other. That front edge of the rubber stays firm and stationary. It allows you to continue to pivot on your foot and push well into your forward progress, unlike dirt.

If you start your forward momentum with the ball of your pivot foot ahead of the front edge of the rubber, you are placing the pivot point for your foot on the dirt and not on the pivot point of the pitcher's rubber.

You might look at it as gaining 5 inches or so but think about what you lose by doing this.

By pushing off from the dirt you give up that flat, level and solid surface. You cannot utilize that solid surface to push off of. Now your push off is holding you back. You cannot push off from the dirt with your full available force. The pivot point for your foot now starts at the ball of the foot (where you can utilize your full energy/force) but quickly changes to the toes (the weakest part of the foot) before you get very far into your forward push. You take away some potential for stride length by doing this.

The rubber is raised. This also allows for the toes to drop down a bit, right in front of the rubber. In doing that, you can be farther into your forward momentum and still use the ball of the foot to continue pushing off from the rubber. Your rubber cleats do not have great traction, not enough to use the same amount of force as compared to pushing off from the rubber. If you tried, your foot would slip, kick backwards, you would lose control and you would stumble.

The surface of the dirt is not a raised, flat and level surface. It is seldom flat unless a lot of loose dirt has been swept into the area. Loose dirt gives you even less traction than solid dirt and less force can be used when pushing off from it. Normally the terrain right in front of the rubber is quite chewed up and uneven.

Often there is a rough, deep and uneven hole where the dirt has been chewed up and kicked out. Now, you are stepping down a few inches, which throws off your balance, aim and has a negative effect on your control. You are trying to push off from a rough uneven surface and that does not let you achieve maximum forward momentum/force.

The ball of your foot cannot assist in the forward momentum as much because there is no solid surface directly behind it to push from. You will be expending energy to propel your body upwards, out of that hole, instead of using all that energy to propel you forward towards the batter. That is a waste of energy in the pitching motion. Let's face it, the closer you can get to the batter when you release that ball, the less time the batter has to react.

If you slide your foot 4-5" forward of the rubber, past the pivot point of the rubber, you will lose 8-10" inches of stride length potential. You will also have a little more control problem by doing it too. You lose more than you gain.

Push off from the pitcher's rubber. It not only keeps you legal, it's the smart thing to do.

Jul 31, 2011
Hal

Based on the condition of most fields the girls play on today I would agree with your description of using the pitching rubber; but based on the pitching rubber area on well prepared fields at top college levels etc., I would strongly suggest that as a pitcher I'm trying to create as much depth in my starting stance as the rules allow which causes me to bring my push off foot as far forward as I can to create kind of a ramped push off area ( heel still connected to the rubber ) and the last thing I'm touching is dirt as I finish my push off.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hal

Based on the condition of most fields the girls play on today I would agree with your description of using the pitching rubber; but based on the pitching rubber area on well prepared fields at top college levels etc., I would strongly suggest that as a pitcher I'm trying to create as much depth in my starting stance as the rules allow which causes me to bring my push off foot as far forward as I can to create kind of a ramped push off area ( heel still connected to the rubber ) and the last thing I'm touching is dirt as I finish my push off.

70% of the young ladies in this sport drop out aat the 14u level. College players are in steel cleats that give a better bite to the dirt.

You are still pushing off from loose dirt. That doesnt work well for the rubber cleats players.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad