Baseballance?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 4, 2010
For the last time---- The swing path of the hitters you have referenced has nothing to do with the BASEBALLANCE. You may not agree with the swing path being correct, but they work to develop that swing path in an attempt to prevent their swings from getting long. Long before the BASEBALLANCE, it was not uncommon to see hitters work a double tee drill where the one in the back was higher than the one in the front. The objective was to hit the front ball without hitting the back one. Again, you may not agree with that concept or what it teaches, but I know that each of these hitters has performed that drill FROM FLAT GROUND without the BASEBALLANCE. I also know that others have developed devices (one was endorsed by Ken Griffey, Jr.) that teach that swing path. STOP trying to convince others that the BASEBALLANCE creates that swing--- it absolutely has NOTHING to do with it. Those hitters were taught that swing path.

And how do you know what the game swing of any of these hitters looks like? I can assure you that the drill I described above is a part of their daily routine, as is using the BASEBALLANCE (over the last 6 months) and whatever basis you have for claiming their game swing is different was obviously not negatively impacted by any of your claims.

If you are not a fan of the BASEBALLANCE it, ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist. If you are using this discussion as a way to convince others that you know hitting, please ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist. If you actually want to put a hitter on it, then make claims---that would make a lot more sense. No one that has ever actually used it with hitters had made a single claim regarding negative effects. That is a documented fact. Again, that list of people may surprise you. However, at this point, I do not want to tie them to this ridiculous banter back and forth. One thing I will say with absolute certainty is-- use it with one of your hitters and the swing path of the user will not be changed and will still resemble the exact work of art you have created.

Oct 4, 2010
Once more, the video you are showing is of two boys messing around with a new product they had never seen before. Circling things is kind of a mute point considering the fact that I have explained that they were just messing around. If you notice, the BASEBALLANCE they are using doesn't even have the white lines on it because the one in your videos was a prototype. There was no instruction and there were no guildlines explained for use. Laughable at this point.

Would you take the word of former major leaguers who are now hitting instructors within the systems of major league teams, who are using the BASEBALLANCE? Maybe they mean nothing to you, but I value their opinions and their testimonials. One told me that a .210 hitter's entire season turned around after taking 10 swings off of the BASEBALLANCE. That player finished the season hitting .347 and landed in the Sigle A All-Star game. The player and the coach gave all the credit to the amount of time he spent on the BASEBALLANCE after the initial 10 swings, on a daily basis. There are a bunch of claims like that out there and the difference between them and you is the fact that they watch real hitters and perform real drills using the device. The difference is they were willing to try something new with an open mind. Their goal wasn't to discredit the device without using it or ever seeing it first hand.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
For the last time---- The swing path of the hitters you have referenced has nothing to do with the BASEBALLANCE. You may not agree with the swing path being correct, but they work to develop that swing path in an attempt to prevent their swings from getting long. Long before the BASEBALLANCE, it was not uncommon to see hitters work a double tee drill where the one in the back was higher than the one in the front. The objective was to hit the front ball without hitting the back one. Again, you may not agree with that concept or what it teaches, but I know that each of these hitters has performed that drill FROM FLAT GROUND without the BASEBALLANCE. I also know that others have developed devices (one was endorsed by Ken Griffey, Jr.) that teach that swing path. STOP trying to convince others that the BASEBALLANCE creates that swing--- it absolutely has NOTHING to do with it. Those hitters were taught that swing path.

And how do you know what the game swing of any of these hitters looks like? I can assure you that the drill I described above is a part of their daily routine, as is using the BASEBALLANCE (over the last 6 months) and whatever basis you have for claiming their game swing is different was obviously not negatively impacted by any of your claims.

If you are not a fan of the BASEBALLANCE it, ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist. If you are using this discussion as a way to convince others that you know hitting, please ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist. If you actually want to put a hitter on it, then make claims---that would make a lot more sense. No one that has ever actually used it with hitters had made a single claim regarding negative effects. That is a documented fact. Again, that list of people may surprise you. However, at this point, I do not want to tie them to this ridiculous banter back and forth. One thing I will say with absolute certainty is-- use it with one of your hitters and the swing path of the user will not be changed and will still resemble the exact work of art you have created.

BB .... please take a closer look at these kids BP & game swings ... they do not normally have a swing plane in which they chop down on the ball. The chop-down swing plane that they display with baseballance is not in the video clips of their game & BP swings ... at least not their normal BP & game swings.

Oct 4, 2010
OK five, thanks for the info. With that being said, they will continue to do what they do to build their approach at the plate. They will continue to drill that swing and continue to use the BASEBALLANCE to build the bottom half. As you describe, drill work has produced a pretty sound approach on flat ground with a moving ball. Regardless, you continue to ignore the simple fact that they take that swing with nearly every dry swing they take and with nearly every tee drill they participate in and soft toss as well-----WITH OR WITHOUT the BASEBALLANCE. It is intentional, not a result of the BASEBALLANCE. The BASEBALLANCE builds the bottom half.

You call the swing path chopping-- which is not the actual movement-- how about if you take a closer look to see that it is downward, to level, produced by a high finish. If you were to break down only the end of their swings with the narrow focus you have had on the initiating steps, you would probably call that an uppercut-----it is not one movement down, but a progression through the three phases to produce the swing.

BUT, the BASEBALLANCE is not about swing plane and that is what the original poster inquired about. The BASEBALLANCE is about weight transfer and balance in the bottom half. Perseverate over what you want.....but do it alone, without discrediting something you have never used.

Oct 19, 2009
From what I’ve seen, heard and researched I believe the Baseballance is a very useful device. It like the hitting tee, whiphit bat or soft toss machine the Baseballance is a tool how you use it is the key to what you get out of it. I see it helping to get the hitter to feel keeping the weight back and the sensation of going back to come forward which is a move used in most sports such as throwing, golf swing, boxing and so on.

The movement and balance in the lower half is so important in a girls softball swing and I can see this exaggerated movement reduce the learning curve. I see it being very helpful for weight back, balance and I believe it can help to teach the girls fire the gluts which has been described as a problem for females. This is personal observation from adds and information from my 15 YO daughter who used the device for a short period at UA softball camp. The pitching staff at Alabama used the device to teach weight back in the fast pitch pitching motion as well as for hitting, my daughter was very impressed with the feeling of keeping weight back by the Baseballance in the fast pitch motion.

My daughter was excited at what it taught her and what it made her feel, she was convinced that regular use of the Baseballance would benefit the user and would reduce the learning curve for the lower half of the swing for younger kids. This is the one hitting station she talked about most of her experience at the camp.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I agree with Peppers. As I've stated before, it's not just the tool it's how you use it. You can't fault a wrench for not being able to drive in screws. That's not what it's designed to do.

From my experience, many girls have trouble understanding how to drive their weight from the back side into the front side. They may load, but when they come forward they just come back to center instead of shifting their center of gravity forward. I have one student who makes a negative move then keep her weight back on the back foot. She spins on her back foot and leans backward as a result. We've worked on getting off the back side but it's been a slow process. If this device could shortcut her getting the feeling of shifting her weight it would be worth it.

If I were using it, I wouldn't be worried about what he upper body is doing at all. I'm not big on devices, so if I were using one it would be to solve a specific issue. Her swing path would be an issue for another day. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00