Exposure paths, the how and the why

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
GoingDeep,

It looks like you took a different approach from Crankermo. I had a nice private message conversation with Crankermo, and he had a group of girls he helped coach up to 16U, and then took his daughter to a pre-established top level team with a well-connected coach to reach his goal. Tough decision, paid off big-time.

GoingDeep, as I follow your path, you've taken your team and tried to "raise them up together" to that next level, and with great success as well.

I think a lot of us parents/coaches reach that same fork in the road. I'd love to hear how you made your decision Going Deep and how you feel it worked out.

I want to be clear: not looking to say or hear either approach is right or wrong, you guys and your DDs are both seeing great success. Just want to understand how you made your decisions and pros and cons of both.

TKS.

Rich, I believe it comes down to two variables in the exposure paths. 1) would be an honest evaluation of talent 2) the financial means of the individual parent or team as a whole

Our girls are from a little hole in the wall town ( 4500 ). Most of the parents are hard working, probably a little lower than middle class incomes, pay check to pay check types. ( nothing wrong with that, I'm just being honest, they are great people ) My wife and I are VERY blessed to have two good paying jobs, we are far from rich, just comfortable.

These girls started out in the little local rec league 5-6-7. Those were fun times at that age, borderline on just silly. ( I sure wish they were still that age ) After the rec season ( spring ) we thought "how would you girls like to play in a few "localized" travel tourneys"? The girls loved the idea. Short on funds we bought matching shorts and tee shirts from Walmart, and the moms "ironed" on our logo.

That first year we didn't win every tourney, but we were always in say the top 4 if about 12-15 teams were entered. THAT'S when the girls fell in love with the game, and I with them. The travel "experience" was just on another magical level than the rec they were use to.

We quit rec completely at 10, after placing second in the league world series in Texas. ( kinda like a little league format )
From then on we travelled full time, expanding our travel ( miles ) range. From first year 12 to last year 14 we played from FL to OK and all inbetween.

^^^^^ All the travel sounds good, but their was a price. The recession. We were already ( team ) strapped for cash. Even before some families would need to save 6 months for that $300 bat, that we might take for granted. Sometimes the out of state tourneys a mother and father couldn't both afford to go ( just because of everyday expenses X's 2 ) Some families would have to double up in hotel rooms to share the cost.

The goal was to get these girls into "a" college, not "the" college. The honest assessment I spoke about, they are good but none of them "superstars". 70% of the girls are the FIRST in their family to even go to college.

The fork in the road you spoke of happened at the end of 14u. The girls were being "courted" by the 16/18 feeder exposure teams to certain colleges. The HARDEST thing was to give up the reigns to another coach(s), but we/I knew it was the in the best interest of the girls and their college chances would be greater down this path.

These feeder teams were not national big time orgs. Smaller orgs who had/have a reputation of getting their players into specific schools. Mostly in TN and bordering states. A few girls went to play together for X team, a few Y, and couple of individuals team Z's. These feeders did not travel far only in or around TN. They were what I might call "economy exposure teams".

Sad as it was to let them go, it worked out. Everyone of them got a scholarship in some fashion and will play ball. 2 who are really really smart ( 34 ACT perfect GPA ) have recently chosen to only go for the education and hang up the glove.

Long story short, we had to do things a tad different because of our financial situation. We kept the girls together ( long as we could ) played the best competition we could "afford" and practiced like we were rich. I wish everyday I could have done more for them.

I believe that's why I'm so emotional this ( their ) senior year. Those are my baby(s) out there, when they play together there is a chemistry. I had to already give them up once, now I'm going to give them up again forever.

I get the old watery eyes sometimes watching them take the field this spring for the final time. I see these beautiful grown young ladies and I can't help but remember all the good times. I vision them sometimes as those 3 ft tall rec players who I constantly was telling them to quit playing in the dirt, quit picking the grass in the outfield, quit chasing that butterfly.

I'm very proud of them. They will always be my world champions. :)

Sep 17, 2009
TKS GD. So you actually did break up your group, when you talk about "your girls" you still see them as a team even though they don't necessarily all sit in the same dugout. Awesome.

Tks for the story. And Crankermo for his as well.

Inspiring parents, coaches and DFP members (and oh yeah, DDs!) :>

Feb 14, 2010
I believe that's why I'm so emotional this ( their ) senior year. Those are my baby(s) out there, when they play together there is a chemistry. I had to already give them up once, now I'm going to give them up again forever.

GD,

Trust me when I say that you are not giving these girls up, they will forever be a part of you and you forever a part of them. I helped coached my DD's old team from 10U-1st yr 16's and I would like to think that I made as much an impact as you have on your special group. Your story reminded me so much of our team, hard working middle class families trying to give our kids what we didn't have. I miss those kids and families, luckily I still talk to most of them frequently and consider them lifelong friends.

I'm giving you a standing ovation in front of my computer right now, YOU are what this great game of fastpitch is all about. WELL DONE SIR,WELL DONE.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
TKS GD. So you actually did break up your group, when you talk about "your girls" you still see them as a team even though they don't necessarily all sit in the same dugout. Awesome.

Tks for the story. And Crankermo for his as well.

Inspiring parents, coaches and DFP members (and oh yeah, DDs!) :>

Yes sir. We played as a team from 6-15 years old. Thats a long time together, you become like family. Played/playing middle and HS together.

We "might" have been able to accomplish the same ( college stuff ) by staying together. BUT, I come from a baseball background and things are done a tad different. I didn't want to risk their future by gambling. The "budget exposure teams" looked like the best way to insure they got offers, big or small.

I believe the difference in what we did and Ms Brooke would be the level of exposure. I'm sure dad would agree, it's not a cheap road. The payout may be great, but it's an expensive investment with no guarantee of a return. The road we took had much better odds of a return, but not a huge payout like Ms Brooke. ( hope that makes sense )

My nephew who I posted signing D1 Air Force Acedemy, they took the road like Brooke. Played for the national premier baseball teams, spent mucho money and it worked out. His education is valued at $400,000. My brother makes a lot of money, everyone on those national BB teams parents.............makes a lot of money.

It all boils down to individual choices and reasonable goals.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My DD's path was much the same. I coached all of her teams (assistant) as she grew up. That core stayed together for so long. Then, when the final phase was near, we turned her over to a guy I trust a lot and let him and his coaching staff coach her. We were so lucky that many of the same girls did the same and so, pretty much stayed together with a difference of a couple of young ladies. It was the right decision and one that was spurred on when on D-I coach asked me if my DD had ever played for any other coaches than myself.

Per losing the girls, it won't happen. I'm betting when college breaks come, your house is like mine. We had 22 girls in our house one weekend as a couple of teams got together and spent the night. It was not uncommon over Christmas break to have 10-12 over. Wow was that fun. I stayed upstairs and they went downstairs. I was so blessed when pretty much each one of them rotated upstairs and allowed me to catch up with them. GD, get ready because those moments are going to be special as well.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I had the same path, same financial level...Best I could do at the time. Only 2 play in college...

Good story
Thanks

SL

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Rich, I believe it comes down to two variables in the exposure paths. 1) would be an honest evaluation of talent 2) the financial means of the individual parent or team as a whole

Our girls are from a little hole in the wall town ( 4500 ). Most of the parents are hard working, probably a little lower than middle class incomes, pay check to pay check types. ( nothing wrong with that, I'm just being honest, they are great people ) My wife and I are VERY blessed to have two good paying jobs, we are far from rich, just comfortable.

These girls started out in the little local rec league 5-6-7. Those were fun times at that age, borderline on just silly. ( I sure wish they were still that age ) After the rec season ( spring ) we thought "how would you girls like to play in a few "localized" travel tourneys"? The girls loved the idea. Short on funds we bought matching shorts and tee shirts from Walmart, and the moms "ironed" on our logo.

That first year we didn't win every tourney, but we were always in say the top 4 if about 12-15 teams were entered. THAT'S when the girls fell in love with the game, and I with them. The travel "experience" was just on another magical level than the rec they were use to.

We quit rec completely at 10, after placing second in the league world series in Texas. ( kinda like a little league format )
From then on we travelled full time, expanding our travel ( miles ) range. From first year 12 to last year 14 we played from FL to OK and all inbetween.

^^^^^ All the travel sounds good, but their was a price. The recession. We were already ( team ) strapped for cash. Even before some families would need to save 6 months for that $300 bat, that we might take for granted. Sometimes the out of state tourneys a mother and father couldn't both afford to go ( just because of everyday expenses X's 2 ) Some families would have to double up in hotel rooms to share the cost.

The goal was to get these girls into "a" college, not "the" college. The honest assessment I spoke about, they are good but none of them "superstars". 70% of the girls are the FIRST in their family to even go to college.

The fork in the road you spoke of happened at the end of 14u. The girls were being "courted" by the 16/18 feeder exposure teams to certain colleges. The HARDEST thing was to give up the reigns to another coach(s), but we/I knew it was the in the best interest of the girls and their college chances would be greater down this path.

These feeder teams were not national big time orgs. Smaller orgs who had/have a reputation of getting their players into specific schools. Mostly in TN and bordering states. A few girls went to play together for X team, a few Y, and couple of individuals team Z's. These feeders did not travel far only in or around TN. They were what I might call "economy exposure teams".

Sad as it was to let them go, it worked out. Everyone of them got a scholarship in some fashion and will play ball. 2 who are really really smart ( 34 ACT perfect GPA ) have recently chosen to only go for the education and hang up the glove.

Long story short, we had to do things a tad different because of our financial situation. We kept the girls together ( long as we could ) played the best competition we could "afford" and practiced like we were rich. I wish everyday I could have done more for them.

I get the old watery eyes sometimes watching them take the field this spring for the final time. I see these beautiful grown young ladies and I can't help but remember all the good times. I vision them sometimes as those 3 ft tall rec players who I constantly was telling them to quit playing in the dirt, quit picking the grass in the outfield, quit chasing that butterfly.

I'm very proud of them. They will always be my world champions. :)

With 2 daughters I walked across the court & field for senior night 5 times. Twice this year
Tough not to tear up. Enjoy every minute
Take some good photos....

SL

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
What a great post. My DD is entering high school in August and I'm trying to enjoy every second because I know in a flash it'll be over.

Feb 14, 2010
GD,

Makes the most important point, HONEST ASSESMENT. Find out where your DD truly stands talent wise and work from there, trust me, you can chase the D1 dream for as long as your pocketbook will allow and still never catch the carrot. We all got into this game because we love our DD and we enjoy watching them do something they love. As a family we don't have a lot of disposable income but we've always managed to do what we needed to give our kids the best chance at whatever they decide to commit too, but you have to be honest about their talent.

Softball is a money pit and very few people ever get a return from it. My wife and I sat down with Brooke and laid out out our expectations and how the decision to make the move to a "bigtime" program would affect the family as a whole and we told her that we would make whatever sacrifices we needed too, but she had to really want this and work harder then she ever has. Luckily for us it has worked out nicely.

Academics are the most important tool to get your kid into college, focus on that first, don't hope for the genetic lottery. Brooke could've gotten a great ride to a local D2,D3/NAIA by staying with her local team but she wanted to play D1.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles