Baseballance?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 4, 2010
BASEBALLANCE: Rocker Stops

You are right, they are a very important element and one that wasn't available at the time of the videos that have been shown here. They were a late addition, but a very valuable one.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
wellphyt said:

"It also seems like this device would hinder the uncoil."

well-

you might think of this in terms of the difference/similarity between the swing and overhand throw.

In the overhand throw, I think it helps for maximum power to learn to throw off the mound the way pitcher's do. They have to accentuate ability to hold coil falling down hill, then learn to take the unloading forward over the front foot.

unfortunately, the forward part is what gets ingrianed in baseball pitchers and is part of what usually makes them bad hitters getting to front side too soon.

this is a big advantage for female pitchers who are usually the best athlete on the team when young and stay back and throw off flat ground and know how to coil and resist with upper body so are often the best hitters as well.

in any case, for hitting, you need to learn to "stay back" by balancing around the rear hip and not be forced to get to the front side early.

used as a device to encourage rear hip control/balance, this could help by learning to retain coil in spite of falling down hill/learning how to "stay back" the "right' (HLBB) way.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
BB … the more I think about this product, the more I wonder if the main thing to extract is the establishment of ‘dynamic balance’ in one’s ‘stance’.

That of course has value. If you don’t start your swing from a balanced position, then your brain will automatically try to rebalance your body, whether that is your desire or not. The body will place a high priority on ‘balance’. If you start out of balance then your muscles will be diverted from the action of swinging a bat, to the action of rebalancing you.

If you start from a balanced position then your brain will fight to keep you in balance.

It is important to extend the definition of ‘balance’ beyond ‘static balance’ and encompass ‘dynamic balance’.

We can think of ‘dynamic balance’ if we take the perspective that each muscle has an opposing muscle to help maintain balance. These muscles must work evenly with respect to each other. Your body can be relaxed, and have the appearance of being balanced … that is the body can be ‘statically’ balanced … but if the muscles are not activated so as to be working evenly with one another, then you are not truly ‘dynamically’ balanced. If the muscles are not engaged, or activated, then you are in a sense not balanced … you are not ‘dynamically’ balanced. The muscles of the body must be engaged or activated … and opposing muscles must be working evenly.

Simple example …

A hitter who is standing upright in their stance may give the appearance of being balanced … after all, they are relaxed and their body is stable … but since their muscles are not engaged or activated, they are not ‘dynamically’ balanced … they are ‘statically’ balanced, but not ‘dynamically’ balanced … the opposing muscles are not working evenly and they are not engaged.

To be ‘dynamically’ balanced a muscle and its opposing muscle need to be engaged … and they need to be working evenly … otherwise you are not ‘dynamically’ balanced.

This product would seem to promote learning to establish dynamic balance in one’s stance. That is indeed important … and it is true that many don’t appreciate the concept relative to its importance. If we start a swing in ‘dynamic’ balance, then our body will work hard to maintain ‘dynamic’ balance.

Where I struggle seeing benefit with this product is beyond the ‘stance’. While I respect the value of this product being able to promote ‘dynamic’ balance within one’s stance, I haven’t been able to convince myself that there is significant value in artificially rocking the body uncharacteristically after ‘dynamic balance’ has been established.

May 7, 2008
DFW
wellphyt said:

"It also seems like this device would hinder the uncoil."

well-

you might think of this in terms of the difference/similarity between the swing and overhand throw.

In the overhand throw, I think it helps for maximum power to learn to throw off the mound the way pitcher's do. They have to accentuate ability to hold coil falling down hill, then learn to take the unloading forward over the front foot.

unfortunately, the forward part is what gets ingrianed in baseball pitchers and is part of what usually makes them bad hitters getting to front side too soon.

this is a big advantage for female pitchers who are usually the best athlete on the team when young and stay back and throw off flat ground and know how to coil and resist with upper body so are often the best hitters as well.

in any case, for hitting, you need to learn to "stay back" by balancing around the rear hip and not be forced to get to the front side early.

used as a device to encourage rear hip control/balance, this could help by learning to retain coil in spite of falling down hill/learning how to "stay back" the "right' (HLBB) way.

Tom you just hit the nail on the head with your statement. That is another aspect of the BB product. It will allow you to balance around the rear hip and promote the feel of unloading the hip while moving forward to create momentum. Great observation on your part.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Tom you just hit the nail on the head with your statement. That is another aspect of the BB product. It will allow you to balance around the rear hip and promote the feel of unloading the hip while moving forward to create momentum. Great observation on your part.

IFBU ... I'm not seeing this in the demonstrations of the product.

Oct 4, 2010
Though you may not have found it on any of the videos, it is the very first activity that every user of the BASEBALLANCE participates in, while hitting off the tee. As stated before, some of the video you are viewing was shot long before teh BASEBALLANCE and it's uses evolved and surfaced. From tee work, hitters work the same drill with soft toss, then short toss from out front. Unloading that hip is what moves the board back to the balanced position at contact. As ifyoubuild said, great observation. Most impressed with your ability to visualize it, even if you aren't seeing it.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Five

I think you ought to buy one and check it out for yourself. Then you can try anything you want with it. What BB chooses to show in their demos wasnt designed or intended to address those things you question.

So your choices are take my word for it or get one for yourself.

Pretty simple decision if you want to know.

Oct 4, 2010
Five Frame--

I think you also made a very meaningful statement when you identified "a main thing to extract" for you-- each user finds a different way to use the BASEBALLANCE and a new way to allow it to help solve individual hitting issues. If dynamic balance is an issue for an individual hitter, use it for that. If a hitter steps in the bucket or dives over the plate, use it for that. If the hitter hits excessively off their front foot, use it to help them feel that. If they don't transfer weight..................and on an on. If your catcher's are showing too much movement (swaying too much and not getting calls because their body moves) out of the strike zone to catch pitches on the black or just beyond, well.....use it for that. If bunters aren't getting knee bend and the bat out front while attempting to sacrifice, use it for that. Dynamic balance of baseball pitchers in the high set position, etc......... There really is a way to incorporate it into nearly everything we have all traditionally taught. The purpose is to shorten the learning curve and empower the player with the ability to feel. Basicly, an interpreter, it breaks down the language for the user and tranforms it into a feeling. We all understand what we feel much easier than what we are told.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff