Baseball question for a softball forum

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
So now that I have some time I can share my story. Last year as a freshman (in the fall) ds was diagnosed with a SLAP tear. Similar to your ds - great pitching prospect, recruited by a great private school with a good baseball program, made JV but was going to be used as a pitcher at varsity as needed. Played travel on a good regional team that places a lot of kids in college. Once he was diagnosed (shoulder felt “weird” one day while just throwing lightly during warm-ups), we were told that he might need surgery if PT didn’t work.

Upon hearing that, DS became depressed and frustrated. His only saving grace was that he was an extremely productive lead-off hitter. His secondary position was OF so obviously they couldn’t have him out there making the throws in. His team kept him on as a DH, and it helped him cope with being upset about pitching. As much as I hate to say it, I’m selfishly kind of glad that his HS season was canceled because I know how badly he wanted to pitch.

The upside to this story is he went through a lot of PT for several months, got stronger, and is able to pitch again while throwing harder than ever. Accuracy needs to come back but his FB is humming!

This is one of the main reasons I don’t like the idea of PO. You never know what can happen - and then what? We were extremely careful with his pitch counts, never over worked him, and he had extremely good mechanics. We have no idea how or when the SLAP tear even occurred. Could have been there for a while for all we know. All that being said, being able to hit kept DS in the game and helped him get through being injured.

May 29, 2015
I asked for the details because we see many well-meaning dads (and moms) who come on here thinking their kid is the next Jennie Finch (in SB) but then we find out more details and it’s far from reality.

That’s awesome that he’s that good at 14. Will be amazing to see what he does when he has fully physically developed.

Still would be careful slotting him to PO this early as things can change in the blink of an eye. Injuries happen, they stop developing, they become bored, etc.

Good luck with his journey, sounds like he’ll do great things!

Re-emphasizing my point on injuries ... as Vertigo points out, 14 year-olds have not even finished growing and maturing. Do NOT limit his activities and repetitive stress risks.

My son at 14 had quit sports because he was a runt and could not compete (I am saying that lovingly!). The summer between 16 and 17 shot up to 6'1" and had an athlete's physique. By that time he had no interest in playing sports though.

My middle daughter was the tallest and "athletically built" girl in her class through freshman year. Then everybody else grew and she was stuck at 5'4". She had to work that much harder just to keep up with the natural advantage the other girls' height was giving them in volleyball.

Point being ... at 14 there is too much that will continue to change to convert a kid to specialized sport/position.

I don't think we asked ... does he play other sports?

And again, with those travel ball teams ... are they buying or selling? If you are the seller, listen to them. If you are the buyer, remember they are salesmen. Granted your HS coach could be viewed similarly (since it is a private school), but I'm more inclined to say his livelihood doesn't hinge on you buying his program.

Jul 31, 2015
So now that I have some time I can share my story. Last year as a freshman (in the fall) ds was diagnosed with a SLAP tear. Similar to your ds - great pitching prospect, recruited by a great private school with a good baseball program, made JV but was going to be used as a pitcher at varsity as needed. Played travel on a good regional team that places a lot of kids in college. Once he was diagnosed (shoulder felt “weird” one day while just throwing lightly during warm-ups), we were told that he might need surgery if PT didn’t work.

Upon hearing that, DS became depressed and frustrated. His only saving grace was that he was an extremely productive lead-off hitter. His secondary position was OF so obviously they couldn’t have him out there making the throws in. His team kept him on as a DH, and it helped him cope with being upset about pitching. As much as I hate to say it, I’m selfishly kind of glad that his HS season was canceled because I know how badly he wanted to pitch.

The upside to this story is he went through a lot of PT for several months, got stronger, and is able to pitch again while throwing harder than ever. Accuracy needs to come back but his FB is humming!

This is one of the main reasons I don’t like the idea of PO. You never know what can happen - and then what? We were extremely careful with his pitch counts, never over worked him, and he had extremely good mechanics. We have no idea how or when the SLAP tear even occurred. Could have been there for a while for all we know. All that being said, being able to hit kept DS in the game and helped him get through being injured.

Ah, sorry to hear this, but so glad he's making a recovery. Seems like every pitcher winds up injured.
We're not there yet, knock wood.

Thanks for your input.

Jul 31, 2015
Re-emphasizing my point on injuries ... as Vertigo points out, 14 year-olds have not even finished growing and maturing. Do NOT limit his activities and repetitive stress risks.

My son at 14 had quit sports because he was a runt and could not compete (I am saying that lovingly!). The summer between 16 and 17 shot up to 6'1" and had an athlete's physique. By that time he had no interest in playing sports though.

My middle daughter was the tallest and "athletically built" girl in her class through freshman year. Then everybody else grew and she was stuck at 5'4". She had to work that much harder just to keep up with the natural advantage the other girls' height was giving them in volleyball.

Point being ... at 14 there is too much that will continue to change to convert a kid to specialized sport/position.

I don't think we asked ... does he play other sports?

And again, with those travel ball teams ... are they buying or selling? If you are the seller, listen to them. If you are the buyer, remember they are salesmen. Granted your HS coach could be viewed similarly (since it is a private school), but I'm more inclined to say his livelihood doesn't hinge on you buying his program.

Yes, he plays football (QB) and basketball (prob won't make the HS team). He's a decent overall athlete, certainly not a Kaep or Mahomes. Just strangely talented in his ability to throw things.

His sister meanwhile is working her behind off trying to become (in her words) "the Rachel Garcia of D3". So not a super-duper talented athletic family, but decent enough and very hard-working.

Jul 22, 2015
Thanks for the input. Very helpful.

He's 14, about to enter high school.

After I posted he received an invite to scrimmage this morning with some varsity and JV players. Coaches wanted an early look I guess. Gave up two hits, got 2 Ks vs 10 batters. Did decent in the field, good arm across the diamond :)

We don't have a sense about where he'll rank as a corner on the frosh team. I will ask.

Hitting is a work in progress. Struck out 3x against JV pitching. Swing's too long. Lots to work on.

But the real issue is the travel ball. Club offers are almost all PO now, with maybe some field time.
From what I'm reading here, seems like if he takes up with a lower-level club team that allows him to compete for a position and hitting slot, he may not see the best hitters, but that's OK, there's still time (clubs are telling us otherwise, saying he'll be left behind if he doesn't start facing top hitting soon).
He won't be left behind. If he's truly a top-level pitcher there will be someone to give him a scholarship until the summer after his senior year. I'd prioritize what makes him most excited and drives him to work hard. If he'd rather spend 85% of his individual work on pitching then do it, just don't allow the other areas of his game to slip away completely. Obviously, if he feels like he'd rather try to continue to work on being a more complete player, then do that. You really have at least one, if not 2, years to make a definitive call if you feel you must. Keep in mind, he's young enough that you don't really know how his game will develop. He could have already reached very near his top velocity. On the other hand, he may have another 15 mph due to size, strength, and mechanics improvement. Also, consider that he could incur an injury that makes pitching difficult if not impossible but could still allow him to play in the field and hit. If my dd had decided to become a PO she'd essentially be out of softball due to an injury and surger, but is now considering college offers to play 1B/OF

May 29, 2015
Yes, he plays football (QB) and basketball (prob won't make the HS team). He's a decent overall athlete, certainly not a Kaep or Mahomes. Just strangely talented in his ability to throw things.

His sister meanwhile is working her behind off trying to become (in her words) "the Rachel Garcia of D3". So not a super-duper talented athletic family, but decent enough and very hard-working.

I didn't ask because of his possible future in other sports ... playing multiple sports is highly recommended for youth athletes. It allows them to develop different skill sets, adapt mentally, and (possibly most important) give body parts a rest by using a different set while remaining active.

These are things a smart coach wants to see.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas

LOL. My DD as well. She threw the ball hard from the get go. Weird.

IMHO, the problem is that pitchers spend a lot more time sitting in baseball than in softball.

My DD was "pitch only" through most of her softball career. She was "pitch only" because she needed the rest and the coaches were afraid of her getting hurt.

Until the summer before her senior year, she pitched 90% of the innings for her TB team. The summer of her senior year, she pitched 50% of her TB games. In college she pitched 60% to 70% of the innings.

I can't see putting a kid on a baseball team and then he plays only a 10 or so innings over a weekend.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODorr