Baseball question for a softball forum

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2015
DS is a 15U stud pitcher and non-stud hitter. Not ready to give up the bat nor 3b/1b secondary position. Wants to play as much as possible but keeps getting offers as a PO. Tons of pressure being applied.

Do we play to the level of hitting or play to the level of pitching? What do we lose by going with the bat?

I’m sure there are lots of softball pitchers who’ve faced the same situation. Appreciate the insights.

May 4, 2020
DS is a 15U stud pitcher and non-stud hitter. Not ready to give up the bat nor 3b/1b secondary position. Wants to play as much as possible but keeps getting offers as a PO. Tons of pressure being applied.

Do we play to the level of hitting or play to the level of pitching? What do we lose by going with the bat?

I’m sure there are lots of softball pitchers who’ve faced the same situation. Appreciate the insights.
Pitching is where the money is at. Pitchers are more coveted than any other position baseball and softball.
From what I’m hearing the DH in baseball will probably be in place in both leagues in the relatively near future. So pitchers will not bat.
Plus being a pitcher you only play every 4-5 days. Maybe every 3rd day in the playoffs.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Anna dated a kid at her school, he was their ace pitcher, batted either in the 3 or 4 hole, he can hit! Could kill it at 3B, SS, or 2B.

Got picked up by a very elite, VERY expensive travel organization who promised his parents they’d get him committed, and they did!

Only thing.......PO! Had him put down the bat for good, and he’ll never see the infield again as a position player!

Follow the money!

Apr 28, 2014
The higher the level his arm takes him the harder it will be to hit. No need to hit if he has a great arm

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
From what I’m hearing the DH in baseball will probably be in place in both leagues in the relatively near future. So pitchers will not bat.

Pitchers already don't bat in almost every league from high school through the Major Leagues. There is a DH (it's similar to the DP/Flex, I think) in American high school baseball. There is a DH in South Korean HS baseball. There is a DH in American Legion ball. There is a DH in college and at all levels of the minors below AA.

As far as I can tell, the only places without a DH are Japan's Central league, and, before this year, the National League (and any AAA and AA games where both teams were affiliates of NL teams).

The DH has been nearly universal for a while, so if you're a 15U stud pitcher, you're about to run out of many opportunities to hit anyway unless you're also a stud hitter.

May 29, 2015
I’ll go the other direction ... granted, lots of “if” here ... and lots of advice based on the kid being a shoe-in Major Leaguer up above.

If batting and playing a position keeps him interested in the game and maintains his passion, do NOT dump them. Otherwise, you will have an 18u kid who walks away from the game completely.

A 15u kid that decides to become a pitcher-only at that age is a recipe for an eventual catastrophic arm injury IF he should be fortunate enough to continue to advance in his career.

If you are asking us here, he isn’t “stud enough” to be making that decision. If he were, you would already know, and not from travel ball coaches.

Personal commentary: The over-specialization of the game (not just pitching) is a significant part of what is killing it. Money ball was a good thing, until it wasn’t.

Play 1B/3B and continue to work on hitting. A coach wants to see diversity, durability, and that a kid is coachable. They don’t want a kid who is only good in a percentage of specialized circumstances. IF the time comes to abandon those for pitching only, let somebody who is paying him make that decision. Not somebody who is trying to get your money.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
I have personal experience in this department. Through high school I played infield and pitched. In college, I wanted to do both as well. I went to a top 10 D3 school where I pitched and had some success as a freshman, but did not play the field. Not anything wrong with the coach - I just didn’t beat out the other infielders. I ultimately decided to transfer to a lesser (but still solid) D3 program where I could do both. It was a great decision and it worked out for me. The bottom line for me was this - I wasn’t going to be happy pitching every 4th or 5th game. I wanted to play everyday.

Jun 8, 2016
The one thing about pitching is that it is easier (than hitting) to judge how good a kid is (or could be) in a vacuum. Of course there are other things that are important as well (mental makeup, etc) but good stuff is good stuff..

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I have personal experience in this department. Through high school I played infield and pitched. In college, I wanted to do both as well. I went to a top 10 D3 school where I pitched and had some success as a freshman, but did not play the field. Not anything wrong with the coach - I just didn’t beat out the other infielders. I ultimately decided to transfer to a lesser (but still solid) D3 program where I could do both. It was a great decision and it worked out for me. The bottom line for me was this - I wasn’t going to be happy pitching every 4th or 5th game. I wanted to play everyday.
Good for you!
Individual goals 👍

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish