Baseball or fastpitch catcher's mitt for Dad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
My wife would literally look down at her feet, or put both of her hands on the side of her head like horse blinders, she was always a nervous mess when Anna pitched.

Between innings while walking back to either 1B or 3B I’d make eye contact with her and mouth real low to her “hey, you’re missing a great game, you should try watching it!”

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My wife would literally look down at her feet, or put both of her hands on the side of her head like horse blinders, she was always a nervous mess when Anna pitched.

Between innings while walking back to either 1B or 3B I’d make eye contact with her and mouth real low to her “hey, you’re missing a great game, you should try watching it!”
It truly is brutal, especially at the higher levels. My daughter shakes most of it off, but I'm not so lucky. She complains more about her strike outs while batting than she does having a bad game in the circle. If she has a girl 0-2 or 1-2 and walks her, I lose 3 months off my life.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
If she has a girl 0-2 or 1-2 and walks her, I lose 3 months off my life.
You just about made me cuss with this one!

And I’ll add, a 0-2 base hit and a 0-2 hit batter…WHY?? In HS ball she’s had a girl who couldn’t touch her down 0-2, and then hit her in the ribs? 😡😡😡 She wouldn’t even look at me after one of those!

I‘d say please tell me you hit her on purpose cause she flirted with your boyfriend or something else stupid!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
You just about made me cuss with this one!

And I’ll add, a 0-2 base hit and a 0-2 hit batter…WHY?? In HS ball she’s had a girl who couldn’t touch her down 0-2, and then hit her in the ribs? 😡😡😡 She wouldn’t even look at me after one of those!

I‘d say please tell me you hit her on purpose cause she flirted with your boyfriend or something else stupid!
My daughter's HS season had stats in GC that showed First Pitch Strike that resulted in an out at 76%. First Pitch Strike that resulted in a walk was 3.43%. First Pitch Strike which resulted in a hit was 17%.

So, it didn't happen often, but when it did, I got a serious case of the jitters. Remember the scene from A League of Their Own when Evelyn Gardner misses the cutoff for the umpteenth time, and Tom Hanks just sits there shaking? Yeah, that's me.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
My daughter's HS season had stats in GC that showed First Pitch Strike that resulted in an out at 76%. First Pitch Strike that resulted in a walk was 3.43%. First Pitch Strike which resulted in a hit was 17%.

So, it didn't happen often, but when it did, I got a serious case of the jitters. Remember the scene from A League of Their Own when Evelyn Gardner misses the cutoff for the umpteenth time, and Tom Hanks just sits there shaking? Yeah, that's me.

Saving Private Ryan was an incredible movie but Jimmy Dugan was Hanks best role ever!

Sep 3, 2015

My DDs HS stats were about the same.

FPS 72% FPSO 82% FPSH 12% FPSW 2%

yeah that 0-2 HBP drives me crazy.

I’ve learned over time to not stress too much, but when the game is important and close in the 5th,6th,7th and it seems that every pitch is so important, still gets me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
So, we had our first impromptu pitching session yesterday. We were able to go outside due to the weather being beautiful, and the HS football field is turf, so we got some long toss in.

The HOH mitt is not even close to being broken in, despite me beating the snot out of it daily, but I took it out for a spin. I let my friend borrow my Liberty Advanced fastpitch mitt, so I'm all in on the HOH now. My first impressions are that the baseball mitt has a lot more padding where it's needed, especially the palm. The outer edges of the mitt are also much more protective than on the fastpitch mitts I've used. The mitt also makes a delightful pop when the ball hits the pocket.

Since it's not broken in yet, there were a lot of dropped balls, but it will get there. We switched to long toss, and oddly enough, the ball coming in slower was much tougher to keep inside the pocket.

All things considered, I think I made the right choice. Maybe the HOH fastpitch mitt would have worked well, but I just feel the baseball mitt has more padding.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
So, we had our first impromptu pitching session yesterday. We were able to go outside due to the weather being beautiful, and the HS football field is turf, so we got some long toss in.

The HOH mitt is not even close to being broken in, despite me beating the snot out of it daily, but I took it out for a spin. I let my friend borrow my Liberty Advanced fastpitch mitt, so I'm all in on the HOH now. My first impressions are that the baseball mitt has a lot more padding where it's needed, especially the palm. The outer edges of the mitt are also much more protective than on the fastpitch mitts I've used. The mitt also makes a delightful pop when the ball hits the pocket.

Since it's not broken in yet, there were a lot of dropped balls, but it will get there. We switched to long toss, and oddly enough, the ball coming in slower was much tougher to keep inside the pocket.

All things considered, I think I made the right choice. Maybe the HOH fastpitch mitt would have worked well, but I just feel the baseball mitt has more padding.
Me and Eric have talked about palm padding extensively, on Vinci mitts, it's their thing!! That's why Vinci's are such a monster to break in, the palm pad and the palm pad only!

And they have a memory....when you think you're just about on top of it, the weather changes and it goes right back to where it started, stiff! There's no replacement or substitute to LOTS of repetition, you have to start breaking that palm pad down!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Me and Eric have talked about palm padding extensively, on Vinci mitts, it's their thing!! That's why Vinci's are such a monster to break in, the palm pad and the palm pad only!

And they have a memory....when you think you're just about on top of it, the weather changes and it goes right back to where it started, stiff! There's no replacement or substitute to LOTS of repetition, you have to start breaking that palm pad down!
I have a Jugs Super Softball machine that hasn't gotten much use the last few years since I gave up coaching. If the weather cooperates, I might get it out of the shed and have my daughter fire bucket after bucket to me to help the break in process.

Oct 26, 2019
I have a Jugs Super Softball machine that hasn't gotten much use the last few years since I gave up coaching. If the weather cooperates, I might get it out of the shed and have my daughter fire bucket after bucket to me to help the break in process.
This is how I break gloves in quick. I feed with my right hand and catch it right out of the machine with my left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01