Base coach in the way ...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No. And the reason that I know, is because if there is anyway at all for me to move the wrong way, I will. I have tried everything. Standing still, running towards the dugout :) and trying to gauge where the infielder will go. Splat! I have considered finding a way to hover above the ground.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Thanks. ...

More specifically, there's a foul pop hit just behind the first-base coach. F3 takes chase for it, has to maneuver around the base coach and fails to catch a ball that easily could have been caught. Umpire says, "Coach stayed in box, tried to get out of way.'' Foul ball.

Is this a fair call by the umpire? Or can one argue, "It's the coach's job to get out of the way, period. Ball was could've been caught. Out.'' ???

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Is the base coach immune from interference if the coach is in his coach's box and makes a good-faith attempt to get out of the way of a fielder chasing a foul pop?

No. If the coach interfered with the defenses ability to make a play on a batted ball, the batter is out. Intent is not a consideration.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
I always thought the base coaches were a part of the field just like the umpires, and absent of deliberate interference it would be a dead ball.......just my idea of fair.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06