Base coach in the way ...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The NCAA rules define "offensive personnel" to include "coaches not in the coaches' box" and then says that offensive personnel cannot interfere with a fielder making a play on the ball (9.5.1). So, in NCAA, a coach in the box is not liable for interference.

"Intentionally" doing something by anyone (coach or player) can be considered unsportsmanlike conduct. So, if a coach blatantly interfered (e.g., pushed a fielder), then it would be unsportsmanlike conduct no matter where the coach is positioned and the batter could be declared out and the coach could be ejected.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I always thought the base coaches were a part of the field just like the umpires, and absent of deliberate interference it would be a dead ball.......just my idea of fair.

I can see your argument, but how would that be different than a baserunner who is hit by a batted ball? It's not (necessarily) deliberate. My idea of fair is that it is the responsibility of coaches (and baserunners) to get out of the way. If they don't, they are penalized.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
I am like Amy, I do not try but it just happens. I may start thinking in reverse of my first gut feeling and try that next time. Heck I have got a good 15ft clear from a player on a foul pop fly and still called for interference. Never came in direct line or even close to the player, it was just one of days when your team plays against 10 on the field.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The NCAA rules define "offensive personnel" to include "coaches not in the coaches' box" and then says that offensive personnel cannot interfere with a fielder making a play on the ball (9.5.1). So, in NCAA, a coach in the box is not liable for interference.

"Intentionally" doing something by anyone (coach or player) can be considered unsportsmanlike conduct. So, if a coach blatantly interfered (e.g., pushed a fielder), then it would be unsportsmanlike conduct no matter where the coach is positioned and the batter could be declared out and the coach could be ejected.

NCAA Rules:

1.72 Interference Equipment or the act of an offensive player, coach, umpire or spectator that denies the fielder a reasonable opportunity to play the ball. The act may be intentional or unintentional and the ball must have been playable.

4.3 Base Coach
4.3.1 A base coach may be the head coach, an assistant coach, a team manager or an eligible, uniformed team member who occupies the coach’s box at first base or third base to direct the offense. Base coaches are restricted to the coaches’ boxes (only one base coach per box) before release of the pitch.
Notes: 1. Unlike most other sports, the base coach is in the field of play and, therefore, must be reasonably mobile.
2. Student-athletes, unlike other base coaches, must wear a NOCSAE approved protective helmet while in the coaches’ boxes. (See Rule 3.8.4.)

4.3.2 A coach may not interfere with a fielder who has a reasonable opportunity to make a play on a foul fly ball.
EFFECT—The ball is dead, the batter is out, and each base runner must return to the base legally occupied at the time of the pitch.
4.3.3 A coach, while in or out of the coach’s box, shall not intentionally interfere with a thrown ball or interfere with the defensive team’s opportunity to make a play on another base runner.
Note: The coach’s box is not a sanctuary for the coach when a play is being made in the vicinity of the coach’s box.
4.3.4 The third-base coach shall not run in the direction of home plate (on or near the baseline) thereby drawing a throw with a base runner in scoring position and while a fielder is attempting to make a play.
EFFECT—(4.3.3 to 4.3.4)—The ball is dead, the base runner closest to home plate shall be declared out, and each other base runner must return to the last base legally touched at the time of the interference.
Exception: If a thrown ball accidentally touches a coach in foul territory, the ball is live. It is not interference if the individual tries to evade the ball or is not aware that the ball is coming.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

Disagree with your interpretation Sluggers. The 2012-2013 NCAA rules (see below) note that the coach's box is not a sanctuary and that intent is not considered a factor when its a batted ball.

4.3.3 A coach, while in or out of the coach’s box, shall not intentionally interfere
with a thrown ball or interfere with the defensive team’s opportunity to make
a play on another base runner.
Note: The coach’s box is not a sanctuary for the coach when a play is being made

11.20 Interference
Interference is an act that denies a defensive player a reasonable opportunity
to make a play (field/throw) anywhere on the playing field. The act may be
intentional or unintentional, and the ball must have been playable. Interference
may be caused by individual offensive players (batter, on-deck batter, batterrunner,
base runner), coaches, umpires, nongame personnel or spectators, and
by the offensive team as a whole or by loose equipment that belongs to them.
As a general rule, when batter, batter-runner, on-deck batter, base runner or
coach interference occurs: (1) the ball becomes dead, (2) the violator is called
out, and (3) each base runner must return to the last base that, in the umpire’s
judgment, was legally touched at the time of the interference, except when
forced to go to the next base because the batter became a batter-runner. If
the batter-runner has not touched first base at the time of the interference,
each base runner shall return to the base legally occupied at the time of the
pitch. When a base runner(s) is called out for interference, the batter-runner
is awarded first base. If the official scorer judges the batted ball would have
been a hit, the batter is credited with a base hit, but if not, it is scored as a
fielder’s choice.
in the vicinity of the coach’s box.

Nov 14, 2011
Our team played a tournament last year where we were instructed not to move on a pop up on the first base side due to prior issue in the game. Our 1st base coach tried to get out of the way and the 1st basemen couldn't get around him. The parents of the other team went ballistic. So the head coach asked the head umpire what the rule was and the umpire specifically said "first base coach must remain in place during a play, period". So as our luck would have it, the very same inning a pop-up on the first base side occurred and our coach literally set both feet, covered his head and stayed in place like the umpire stated. The ball literally landed 2 feet from him and the first baseman couldn't make a play on the ball because he was in the way. The head umpire called it a foul ball and the game resumed. Unfortunately this didn't keep the parents from verbally attacking him and threatening his "future" in the parking lot after the game.

Bottom line.... You are in a lose/lose situation.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Our team played a tournament last year where we were instructed not to move on a pop up on the first base side due to prior issue in the game. Our 1st base coach tried to get out of the way and the 1st basemen couldn't get around him. The parents of the other team went ballistic. So the head coach asked the head umpire what the rule was and the umpire specifically said "first base coach must remain in place during a play, period". So as our luck would have it, the very same inning a pop-up on the first base side occurred and our coach literally set both feet, covered his head and stayed in place like the umpire stated. The ball literally landed 2 feet from him and the first baseman couldn't make a play on the ball because he was in the way. The head umpire called it a foul ball and the game resumed. Unfortunately this didn't keep the parents from verbally attacking him and threatening his "future" in the parking lot after the game.

Bottom line.... You are in a lose/lose situation.

What rules set? I can tell you that if it were ASA, NFHS, NCAA or ISF, the umpire was wrong.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
I was umpiring a game about 2 years ago where the 3B coach was involved, but this was on a thrown ball. R1 on 1st, B2 gets a hit in to RF. R1 rounds 2nd and heads towards 3B while F9 retrieves the ball and fires to F5. Ball and R1 are arriving at about the same time so the base coach is signaling R1 to slide. At this point he realizes that the throw is coming in high and that F5 might not catch it and he might be hit. Due to the timing and the speed with which the throw is coming at him, the only choice he had was to squat in place (inside the coach's box) to duck out of the way. The ball hits the chainlink fence behind him and rolls right back at him, coming to a stop directly between his feet. It was almost comedic in that it looked like he was some type of magical softball-laying chicken with him squatting over that ball. He was totally unaware that the ball was there and the 3B just stood there looking at him. B2 took this opportunity to take 2nd and no play was attempted. Reading this thread now, I'm starting to wonder if my ruling allowing the play to stand was the correct one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors