Baden Ax Handle bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
We discussed it this weekend with Bustos. If we want the knob to get into the palm of the hand to allow proper Extension with the grip we teach this knob will not allow it. Why the RT is still the best design in terms of the knob of the bat. Us old guys can recall when we use to get a metal stain in the palm of our lower hand swinging a metal bat. This will not allow that. Kind of like the worthless bat sting rubber knob attachments that are on the market.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Baden has a youtube clip that talks about the knob design and they claim the knob is designed to clear the palm immediately after impact. Of course they are trying to sell bats.

I had an opportunity to hit with one last night while we were at the cages. I didn't notice anything unusual about getting extension. My daughter and a couple of the other girls also tried it out. My first impression was that it helps with the grip. I'm hoping I get an opportunity to try it again when I have more time, as I like the concept of the ax handle design. I do wonder how hitting every ball on the same side of the barrel will affect durablity?

Jan 25, 2011
My dd's bats have the knob cuff on them. It allows a better transfer of the knob to get in the palm of the hands. What I don't like about the Baden design is the finger grooves , and it feels big and clunkey in the palm. I have for years taped the knob to get that taper . It allowed me to really free up my wrist. My dd has the Nanotech and we still used the e-z taper knob cuff , her wrist feel really free with the compined small knob and the taper on it. I think those rubber sting knop attachments are worthless.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
Interesting. Another thought: today's composite fastpitch bats for sure (and maybe metal bats too) generally need to be broken in evenly all "around" the barrel. The ax handle would have the contact point be the same spot on the barrel every time it appears...

Jul 26, 2010
At least this bat will train our daughters to properly defend themselves in the advent of a zombie invasion. I'm trying to be positive today, see?

-W

Nov 1, 2009
The biggest weakness in bats today is the handle. If you are wearing a hole in your hand which I relate to from my playing days the knob is restricting your swing. I ordered one this week for trial and I will let you know what I think once it has been used a little bit. The only concern I have is the size of the lower handle, if it is the right size then I think it will be an improvement.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors