Bad throws on purpose?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
There's a better way to accomplish what he wants. For instance, there is a drill that I do -- take a bucket of balls out towards 2B -- almost to the bag on the outfield side-- then hit one hop and two hop grounders to the 1B and have them try to make plays on them as if they were throws. You get the velocity that you want and the bad hops.

Better than nothing,but he footwork, timing, trajectory, ball movement, and angles are not the same.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I would prefer that the coach spend the time actually teaching the girls to throw. I sometimes am forced to dress like a hockey goalie, over there.

Seriously, Amy? This and your prior comment are like a catcher saying that they don't need to work on blocking because they get enough practice during games and then stating that they'd prefer that the pitchers' PCs spent more time teaching them to reach the plate in the air.

Apr 15, 2012
We will actually do something opposite of this. When we have girls repeatedly making bad throws to the first baseman ( one hops, off line, etc) at practice. We will make the girls making bad throws go spend some time at first to see what it's like to field those kind of throws. It gives them a new appreciation for what a 1st baseman does. Personally I don't agree with practicing bad throws. If someone is going to make a bad throw for practice purposes, let the coaches do it.

Jul 26, 2010
You've never had the girls throw short-hops to each other during their infield warmups between innings? Line the kids up at 1st and 3rd and had them throw one hops across to each other to practice blocking/scooping them?

-W

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I personally wouldn't have players intentionally make bad throws to work 1B. We have pitchers/catchers come an hour before practice to work on things. One pitcher is also a 1B, so after she was done throwing we had 15 minutes left so I had her go to 1B and we worked on scooping and stretching. Low and behold, the next practice, she asked me to stay a little after practice to work on those drills again. I don't know many coaches that wouldn't stay extra time after or before practice if a player asked to get some extra work in.

I am OK if you are mixing this into a normal drill in other words maybe once or twice through the rotation, but this is not something that need to last very long.

I am wondering what age and level this is at our practices (11-13 yr olds rec all star fall ball) given the probably 100 throws our first baseman gets during practice enough of them are bad so that this drill is not really required.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
What makes you think 1b is the only position that needs to know how to scoop, stretch, and block?

-W

1B is not the only position, we also do short hop drills for everyone, part of our warm ups as well. My point was for the OP, having the infielders intentionally making bad throws to work 1B.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
I remember my sister, who played first, come home with bruises from the pitching machine aimed downward for short hops to first. None of my DD's teams have ever done this but my sister could dig anything after that.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I'd prefer 3B practice success making good throws, and 1B practice success catching bad throws.

You can't do both in one drill, and I would be pissed to see DD putting in rep's throwing junk. Practicing failure irks me.

I'm uniquely qualified to throw garbage, and I'd volunteer in a second to work with 1B on it. Usually even I don't know where they're going.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd