Backyard Batting Cage Reccomendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2012
I am looking to install a small batting cage in my back yard. Size wise I am looking at a 35 ft cage due to space constraints. I am looking for something that will last for at least 5 years hopefully more as I have a 14 yr old and an 8 yr old. We will use the net quite a bit as they are playing high level travel ball.
1). Reccomendations on a net?
2). Reccomendations on the cage design? I am looking to do this portion myself.
3). The ground is not quite flat, so I will need to do some work. Contemplating building an enclosure and filling it with clay, wood chips, etc.....

Anyone have any lessons learned or things you would do differently. Looking for ideas!

Thanks

Jan 24, 2009
My backyard cage is a bit more than ten years old. The biggest mistake that I made was that I envisioned lots and lots of pitching machine reps, and sort of built the cage as a venue for hitting off a machine. I initially bought a very heavy duty pitching machine back when I knew everything. Life was good back when I knew everything.
I no longer use a pitching machine in our cage. Ever. Haven't for years and years. Not a good purchase or use of time. As you can see, I can no longer write complete sentences consistently. That is the pitching machine's fault too, I think.

Other random tidbits:
1. Your 35' is plenty big. Mine is 70', but I could live with 35'. A bit of slope in the ground isn't a deal breaker. Level the batters boxes though.

2. Somewhere around year five I decided to build some permanently 'chalked' batters boxes. These are awesome and I should have done so from the start. I used treated 4X6's and made nice joints. The top surface got primed and painted in white and then I trenched in both boxes. These are regulation size and really add a lot IMO.

3. If you don't do some type of batter's boxes, at least spring for a nice home plate.

4. (Really the #1 priority) Buy or make a really nice protective screen. The four sided ones are not overkill and I wish I had one. I promise you that your kid will be hitting lazers one day and the ball will find whichever part of your anatomy that happens to not be protected by the screen. The ensuing profanity and blood is something that you will later regret your kid having witnessed. The ball will always find the exposed part--the part that you didn't realize was exposed. I loathe that such is the case.

5. Over the years you will use the cage as much, if not more than you are imagining right now. I threw this one in there for you to show your wife.

I'm just offering a few thoughts to consider, but, for the love of God Yellowjacket, trust me on #4!

VW

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2011
I built mine free standing with Trapezoid frame connectors. It has been rock solid for about 3 years now.

Bought 12' x 1 3/8" fence poles from a local fence company and created 5 12' sections.
Hung the net from the frame using para cord and carabiners.
Bought the Trapezoid frame kit plus extra connectors here:
Baseball Softball Batting Cage Net Trapezoid Frame Corner Connector Kit Kits | eBay

I also second vDubs pitching screen suggestion. Went cheap and crappy and it didn't last. Now own a Morrow A Frame Softball screen which is great for both underhand as well as overhand pitching for my son.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I know you mention size constraints, but if there is anyway possible for a 43' pitching lane I would recommend it. Probably need @ 50' to allow for the catcher and pitcher arm swing. If you are only going to use it for front toss you can probably get away with 25'.

Jan 24, 2009
I know you mention size constraints, but if there is anyway possible for a 43' pitching lane I would recommend it. Probably need @ 50' to allow for the catcher and pitcher arm swing. If you are only going to use it for front toss you can probably get away with 25'.

One possibility with a shorter cage is to pitch outside the cage, throwing perpendicular to the long wall and let the netting be the backstop. You can have a P&C working even while a hitter is in the cage this way. VW

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
My backyard cage is a bit more than ten years old. The biggest mistake that I made was that I envisioned lots and lots of pitching machine reps, and sort of built the cage as a venue for hitting off a machine. I initially bought a very heavy duty pitching machine back when I knew everything. Life was good back when I knew everything.
I no longer use a pitching machine in our cage. Ever. Haven't for years and years. Not a good purchase or use of time. As you can see, I can no longer write complete sentences consistently. That is the pitching machine's fault too, I think.

4. (Really the #1 priority) Buy or make a really nice protective screen. The four sided ones are not overkill and I wish I had one. I promise you that your kid will be hitting lazers one day and the ball will find whichever part of your anatomy that happens to not be protected by the screen. The ensuing profanity and blood is something that you will later regret your kid having witnessed. The ball will always find the exposed part--the part that you didn't realize was exposed. I loathe that such is the case.

VW

What's a four sided screen? I made the kind with a notch along one side, which i prefer over the hole in the net kind.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00