Backhanded compliments???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2012
My dd is playing rec fall ball. Her first time ever. She is playing with 11-12 year olds mostly but there are some 13 year olds and some 10 year olds sprinkled in. My dd is 9.

Anyways, I told her that if she worked very hard and got her swing to a good place that I would buy here a new Demarini CF5. So she has earned her 2013 CF5 a couple months ago. I bought her a 31/20 and it is a NICE NICE bat. It feels like it weighs waaaaaaay less than her other 31/20 or 30/20 bats. I imagine its due to this bat being so perfectly balanced.

This team didnt have enough players to field a team and so they talked us into joining and in her first game she went 3 for 3 and hit a double. Next game she went 2 for 4 and hit a triple. She has been hitting pretty well and has 2 triples and 2 in the park homerun. Not sure how many doubles and single but quite a bit. She is batting .750 through about 12-13 games. Her coaches have been very happy with her and having her on the team. 2 of her coaches keep talking about this CF5 she has and how its a great bat and super nice etc..... I agree its a GREAT bat. Still working it in and it doesnt have the pop it will in a couple months but when you get it just right..............it goes!

However every time she has a big hitting game so far they keep talking about how awesome the bat is and they are almost to the point to where they are giving her bat the credit for her hits. I mean even she has said " dad it kinda seems like they think my bat is doing all the work". LOL. So while they have been very nice and I know they mean well it was starting to bug me that they are discrediting my dd and saying her hittting is due to the bat.

That being said, I said they should have their dd's use my dd's bat in games. So the last 2 weeks their dd's have used my dd's bat. Needless to say, their kids havent done any better at all with her bat. Im hoping they get the point that a bat can help performace but at the end of the day it cant make an average hitter good. I know they didnt mean any hard with their comments but it was just starting to get kinda silly. My dd is a good batter with or without that bat in her hands and again i hope they can see that her swing is the product of LOTS of work. She still needs LOTS of work to be better but it is nice to have your dd talked abotu so much in a positive light and so much that people are trying to credit a bat because they dont think a kid can hit so well on their own.....lol.

Last edited:
May 31, 2012
Southwest, may I ask what your daughters other bats are? I'm gonna get My 10yo DD a 2013 cf5 and want to make sure I get the right size. DD is 4'7" 73lbs. She's currently swinging a 2011 blue and white synergy speed 29/19. I've heard the cf5 feels and swings lighter than the synergys.

Jul 26, 2010
Dimarini has gone on record to say that their -11 and drop -12 bats are for little kids, so when it breaks or gets a hole in it, they'll suggest you step up to a balanced -10, which have much thicker walls then the -11 and drop -12 bats. If the kid has a good swing, she'll destroy the lighter bat in short order.

-W

May 11, 2012
Southwest, may I ask what your daughters other bats are? I'm gonna get My 10yo DD a 2013 cf5 and want to make sure I get the right size. DD is 4'7" 73lbs. She's currently swinging a 2011 blue and white synergy speed 29/19. I've heard the cf5 feels and swings lighter than the synergys.

My dd is 4'10, 83lbs. Her other bat is a Cat Osterman Demarini 31/20. She has had plenty of others but she hasnt used those ones for a while. The CF5 she has is a 31/20 and its perfect for her IMO. She could probably use a 31/21 just fine but if it aint broke dont fix it right? IMO I would get your dd the 30/19 for where she is at now. If you wait a little bit( until Feb or so) then she might be better suited for a 31/20. Either way this bat is REALLY nice. It definitely doesnt have pop out of the wrapper that the 2012 CF5 has but it is still a GREAT bat and is legal for 2012 and I suspect will be more durable and have just as much pop with time.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If you want to quietly prove its the indian not the arrow, for the next cage BP session have her hit w/ a whipit bat. The conclusion that a kid can hit is unavoidable if they can hit with a ball on a rope.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd