Back to the HC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
The HS season for DD ends next week and we will resume our sporadic hitting lessons from her baseball HC. I have made a gif of a good result but it's probably a typical swing for her. Looking for things to work on that do not include a complete style change this late in the game. Thanks for reviewing even though I am unable to embed the object

Swing

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
giphy.gif

Sep 29, 2014
Well like you said she is doing well, I see from the youtube link this is #2 grand slam; it is really hard to mess with success so I probably would not, right now

When the season is over and you hit the cage for the off season I would take one of two approaches, to fix what I see as a back and forth swing.

Listen to others if they say I'm way off base. One thing I would have to see more swings before judging is hands at first glance it looks like she is extended out and even has a slight arm bar but focusing on the catcher you can see this is an outside pitch and otherwise her swing (hands) look fine so for now I'm OK with hands and bat path.

As she loads she goes all the way back with both lower and upper half, when she gets completely back she is in a very strong athletic position, this is the position she should be in at toe touch. The issue is since she already loaded and pulled upper half back as she strides forward she feels she has to start her upper half as well.

1. A shortcut that should help a little give her more power, not like she needs it and put her in a little better sequence is to once she is all the way back have her hold the position of her hands (back) while she takes her stride forward it will give her a little separation and feel more like she should at toe touch.

2. Revamp to what everyone one here would consider a more classic swing. Load/coil lower first, stride with lower as she reaches back with upper, begin to release lower then upper.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I like the swing. Why mess with it

Maybe Dad will respond on why...
I have made a gif of a good result but it's probably a typical swing for her. Looking for things to work on
To most it seems/looks like a pretty good swing and was successful.
I see from the youtube link this is #2 grand slam;
Maybe dad is just looking for some 'tweaks' on DD's swing. Maybe dad sees some 'holes' in his DD's which might cause a problem moving forward.
I'm curious...dad what kind of advice are you looking for.

For the record I agree with FFS. Excessive sway back causing knee to shift past rear foot. I see the 'all back all forward'. When DD goes forward the hands should continue to 'load' back and not go forward with her body. Needs to work on separation.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
The back/forward exaggeration is new this spring. Possibly due to me telling her to be more aggressive with a go, go, go, don't go method. She also seems to let her hands get away from her body to early that causes issues with the inside pitch. She is fairly strong and rarely Ks but a better looking technically sound swing is desirable.

I did think she was getting separation on the load.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
For some reason I'm not a fan of the low back elbow. You just don't see many MLB swings that look like that. I do know that it effective but just looks weak to me. I like the look of the front elbow/forearm/wrist more on top and the back elbow/forearm/wrist more behind of the bat. But like I said the elbows down swing does seem to work for some.

Added pic
image.jpg

But I am not a paid hitting coach. Im just a dad that just works with his own DD and her friends and teammates on occasion that has been trained by DFP so take it for what it is. :)

Sep 29, 2014
For some reason I'm not a fan of the low back elbow. You just don't see many MLB swings that look like that. I do know that it effective but just looks weak to me. I like the look of the front elbow/forearm/wrist more on top and the back elbow/forearm/wrist more behind of the bat. But like I said the elbows down swing does seem to work for some.

Added pic
View attachment 10396

But I am not a paid hitting coach. Im just a dad that just works with his own DD and her friends and teammates on occasion that has been trained by DFP so take it for what it is. :)

You are correct IMO, I noticed that as well but sequence is such a huge issue.

The separation you are looking for is as the stride foot goes forward hands and upper go back. Since she is already back, for a quicker easy fix if you want something to try have her hold back or maybe even try to reach back just a little as she strides forward. as others pointed out she is also too far back knee should not go past back foot she needs to think pressure on the inside of foot.

anyway several things to work on but mid season for someone who is producing on the field is probably not the time, which is why I suggest one little que and if it starts throwing her off I would shelve that as well and just start fresh in August/Sept it is what the off season is for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32