Back to the HC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
She has had a tendency to load past the back foot and has corrected it with a reminder. We are hitting tomorrow so I'll try to get additional swings then with some imput on the knee and more separation.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_o7aosjBpfV1usf292o1_400.gif

Raised or lower rear elbow is 'style' but, has your DD tried a higher/raised rear elbow.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Not since I coached her in 8U when I was telling her to get her elbow up. Her hitting coach from 10U liked the inverted V and it has pretty much stuck. Sometimes it is a little elevated but during HS ball her swing usually goes to Sh!t from the input of the coach.

I'll see if we can get it elevated tomorrow.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Not since I coached her in 8U when I was telling her to get her elbow up. Her hitting coach from 10U liked the inverted V and it has pretty much stuck. Sometimes it is a little elevated but during HS ball her swing usually goes to Sh!t from the input of the coach.

Let's see some earlier swings from her club ball experiences. Or better yet, drop the excuses and take ownership of the swing issues. From my perspective it is unlikely that a HS coach is promoting excessive sway and a poor sequence.

Sep 29, 2014

The inverted V is a good balanced starting point, again these things all work together, the elbow usually comes up during the stride forward and reach back. Her issue since she does not do this is she starts in the inverted V simply goes all back but since she has not reached back while striding forward she stays in the inverted V. Again so as not to overload her maybe let her go back as she is (but not over her knee) then as she strides forward reach back just a little while elevating the elbow just a thought.

She needs to fix the swing I just don't want her to completely break down and fill her head full of information right before the heart of the season and watch her tank in terms of production; she can't gain muscle memory in a couple weeks anyway. Although simply letting her stride forward and reach back numerous time will at least let her know how good mechanics feel even if she does not use it ever time and slips into old habits.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
She needs to fix the swing I just don't want her to completely break down and fill her head full of information right before the heart of the season and watch her tank in terms of production; she can't gain muscle memory in a couple weeks anyway.

My experience in learning this basic starting sequence is different. The starting sequence being discussed is fundamental and can be learned in short order. In fact, I would make that a priority. Working on other areas of the swing, before this is addressed, would likely be bandaid-ish in nature.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
My experience in learning this basic starting sequence is different. The starting sequence being discussed is fundamental and can be learned in short order. In fact, I would make that a priority. Working on other areas of the swing, before this is addressed, would likely be bandaid-ish in nature.

I agree that the best approach would be to start now learning the correct sequence and the "hold reach a little while elevating elbow" suggestion is a band aid. I think it is just a decision she needs to make about possibly losing some productivity now as she learns the right way. and the hold reach a little suggestion is not completely worthless since if she executes it correctly would put her in the correct position at toe touch which in my opinion is very important, assuming she fixes the knee over leg issue. Which I guess is your whole point don't tinker around the edges just dive in and do it right ;)

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Ownership? I paid for it but it's her swing. They only let one embedded video. Links to others are here

14 year

16 Year

I know the form is important and expect she has hit enough that she can over come.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz