Back hand/flip change

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
When promoting IR fundamentals, the change up will go against everything. My verbal que I tell my girls to to turn the ball at the top of the circle and shake hands under the table....seems to make sense to them.

Jun 28, 2016
Are you set on the flip? IMO--a horseshoe/circle or it's variants are so much easier to learn and control.

Just for experimentation, have her try a three finger/4 seam grip, but use extra pressure with the pinky and thumb, pressing the ball against the middle phalanxes--not the fingertips. Try to push the ball off the thumb and pinky with brush being the trigger. "Pointer finger leads the way" can be a cue. "Brush the back of the thumb" might be another. Look at the spin and adjust by pushing more from the thumb or pinky until you get 12/6 spin. Most seem to get better spin using the pinky, but thumb or both work for others. It's much easier than it sounds and so much easier to control than the flip...

Ok Mr. Ken, I am trying to follow you. So, she will be releasing the ball as she would a fastball except with push and an emphasis on pressure points? This is what I first thought and then I read "brush with back of thumb" and thought, well that would mean she would have to lead with the back of her hand, palm facing backwards and the pointer finger would not be leading the way...lol! What am I missing here?

Jun 29, 2013
My DD is 10 and only knows the flip change. It takes practice, practice, and more practice to get it down, but once she figured it out it truly is devastating as 10 year old hitters don't recognize it until it's on its way. Mine just needed simple reminders about where to release to get t it down, I think she went through the same issue and had to be reminded to make sure her thumb was in the right position.

Apr 12, 2015
This is what I first thought and then I read "brush with back of thumb" and thought, well that would mean she would have to lead with the back of her hand, palm facing backwards and the pointer finger would not be leading the way...lol! What am I missing here?

Think of it like she is throwing a glass of water on the catcher. It is that same type of motion.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
What am I missing here?

Nothing--you've got it!

I'd caution folks to not over complicate pitches. Find the cue (not queue, que or Q) that knocks off speed and is easy to control. Play around until you find that combo. Can't even guess how many kids I've seen that have shown me their flip, but none have been 6/12, 15-20% off their cruising speed and easy to place....

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
Flip change is easier to see for a savy hitter and it promotes backspin wich makes the ball want to stay up. Only way those drop is gravity or slowness of pitch. This allows better hitters to reset and BOOM. My dds pitching coach has taught her how most men throw all 3 pitches that she throws. 4 seem dropping fastball. Knuckle on seam riseball that some girls just dont have the hand size to throw. and a circle change that is similar to hoseshoe. Changeup spins like fast ball and drops hard. The ball comes off her palm area a few inches down from her pinky. This pitch was not easy for her to learn but is nasty. most kids I have seen try to learn this pitch try to finesse it and struggle with cosistentcy including my daughter. You MUST rip this pitch to make it believable and drop.

Apr 12, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXJ9MQdsN0s

You will see that she starts to turn her hand and then she changes it right back.

What I see is her get on top of the ball and stay on top. From the on top position, if she rotates her hand 90 degrees counter clockwise, she'll be in good position to throw a horseshoe change. I really like the cue I saw above, about shaking hands under the table.

Ken nails the point when he says a change up isn't some magical creature. Basically do whatever you need to in order to shut down the whip mechanic and you'll have a good change up. The best method used to shut down the whip is a matter of debate and personal preference. I believe in keeping it simple. Pauly basically says throw a regular fastball but paralyze the fingers. His is my personal favorite.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Flip change is easier to see for a savy hitter and it promotes backspin wich makes the ball want to stay up. Only way those drop is gravity or slowness of pitch. This allows better hitters to reset and BOOM. My dds pitching coach has taught her how most men throw all 3 pitches that she throws. 4 seem dropping fastball. Knuckle on seam riseball that some girls just dont have the hand size to throw. and a circle change that is similar to hoseshoe. Changeup spins like fast ball and drops hard. The ball comes off her palm area a few inches down from her pinky. This pitch was not easy for her to learn but is nasty. most kids I have seen try to learn this pitch try to finesse it and struggle with cosistentcy including my daughter. You MUST rip this pitch to make it believable and drop.

I agree that the flip is the hardest to master. But I am seeing that it is a excellent complement to a great riseball. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00