Getting the curve

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2016
- - - - - - - - -
/\/\/\ ANNASDAD with the win! /\/\/\.

Annasdad or MNDad’s response to Annasdad?

She does have a drop but it didn’t get utilized much. Her changeup works so well coaches go to it over the drop. I think now at 43’ it will come into play more.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2019
Try using a Frisbee to work on palm up spin and keeping the front shoulder in. Throw it in to the fence about 8 feet out. Caution don't stand to the left of the pitcher and the fence.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Annasdad or MNDad’s response to Annasdad?

She does have a drop but it didn’t get utilized much. Her changeup works so well coaches go to it over the drop. I think now at 43’ it will come into play more.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doh!!! I’ll fix that. Thanks for the catch!

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
Why does it have to be a curve? There are other pitches. Master a change up and two others, and she'll compete well. DD's worked on a screwball off and on for years and just couldn't make it work. Thank goodness she finally gave up on it. Oh, and she doesn't throw a curve either.

Oct 4, 2016
Why does it have to be a curve? There are other pitches. Master a change up and two others, and she'll compete well. DD's worked on a screwball off and on for years and just couldn't make it work. Thank goodness she finally gave up on it. Oh, and she doesn't throw a curve either.

Thanks for the reply. She already has a very good change up (it's her favorite pitch to throw) and is highly accurate with her fb. Her drop ball is pretty good and we're working on improving that now that she's playing 14U and she has a coach who will call it. Her PC is going to work to teach her a drop curve instead of the curve. We'll see how it goes! Today is her first lesson with that as the focus.

Jul 14, 2018
Thanks for the reply. She already has a very good change up (it's her favorite pitch to throw) and is highly accurate with her fb. Her drop ball is pretty good and we're working on improving that now that she's playing 14U and she has a coach who will call it. Her PC is going to work to teach her a drop curve instead of the curve. We'll see how it goes! Today is her first lesson with that as the focus.
DD has the same repertoire. She started working on the curve a few months ago, but her TB coach has expressed some distain for the curveball -- pitches that don't change planes are easier to hit. She recommended that DD focus on learning a drop curve instead.

I made a similar point to DD's pitching coach when she first started to work on it, but she insisted that it was an important pitch to learn. We'll see what she says about abandoning the curve in favor of the drop curve when lessons start up again in September.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Could someone describe to me the differences in the two pitches? How one achieves a curve vs a drop curve? DD was at tryouts a couple weeks ago and the coaches commented on her 'drop curve'. I just thought it was a curve. Gravity is still pulling on the ball and i guess i just thought it was normal. About as much movement sideways as down.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina

Drop curve is a nice pitch. In time a rise could be a nice addition, though some thrive with a well placed high fastball.. Every pitcher is different, and eventually she'll develop the repertoire that works for her. She still has a lot of time ahead of her. A good PC will enable the process, and it sounds like you may have that.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
A regular curve is thrown with the palm/fingers pointing up at release. A drop curve is a different animal, the fingers point down at release, they come around the outside of the ball with the palm facing in towards the leg. The drop curve sometimes develops when you try to throw a rollover drop. The palm up curve tends to be a slower pitch in general. Palm up can also turn into a rise/curve.

Jul 14, 2018
A regular curve is thrown with the palm/fingers pointing up at release. A drop curve is a different animal, the fingers point down at release, they come around the outside of the ball with the palm facing in towards the leg. The drop curve sometimes develops when you try to throw a rollover drop. The palm up curve tends to be a slower pitch in general. Palm up can also turn into a rise/curve.
Thanks for the breakdown. I tend to think in terms of spin, so I've been a bit confused about what exactly a drop curve is as well. If a drop has 12-6 spin, and a curve spins counter-clockwise, what should a drop curve look like?

Learning the curve as a palm-up throw to get ready to start working on the rise makes a lot of sense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee