Average exit velocity by age

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2016
DD has tryout this weekend where exit velocity will be measured. Got me wondering what an average exit speed is for an 11YO (tryout is for 12U). I looked online and at a thread on DFP but it was from 2016. I have had more luck getting better feedback and good information from members here than I have anywhere else.
DD is in 14U. She is short (about 5'1") and weighs about 100lb.

We bought her a 31" -10 bat before the fall season when she moved up to 14U. We clocked her between mid-50's and 60's.

By the next fall, her exit speed rarely reached mid 60's anymore, always hovering in the 50's. She grew about 3 inches, but we didn't want to change bat mid-season.

We finally got her a 32" -10 bat in Dec. She's been practicing with this new bat for 3 months. Yesterday we clocked her at 76mph, and she was so excited! Of course, still have to translate that to live-pitch. Off the tee can be so different, but measuring definitely gives her the confidence.

Make sure your DD has the right bat; it really makes the difference. We vow to change her bat mid-season if she grows again (we are hoping she'd grow another inch or so...)

Jun 8, 2016
PSA for all Dads: You have a hitter and you are not measuring exit speed (and launch angle) every day/week? You have been wasting your time.
I have to give it to you..you say things with such conviction as if they were coming straight from God's mouth to yours..

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
...? post #92 wasn't sure if that was sarcasm?
@efastball
Are you defining measuring via devices as different than paying attention visually?

Aug 3, 2019
Just saw a post on Twitter with a video of a 91mph exit velo off of a tee. Measured by blast motion. Player appears to be a 2027–less
than ideal swing—avg size kid.

Could that be correct?

Dec 19, 2021
Tell them to get their measurement device off kilometers and back to MPH.

In all seriousness, I have been able to fake out a pocket radar to show 106 with a 6-iron. I am nowhere near that. That was without a ball. No idea how it happened.

Dec 11, 2010
Just saw a post on Twitter with a video of a 91mph exit velo off of a tee. Measured by blast motion. Player appears to be a 2027–less
than ideal swing—avg size kid.

Could that be correct?
Kinda doubt it.

This is where I like to remind people that last years SEC player of the year, who I believe was also rookie of the year pro has exit speed in low/mid 80’s.

And she is a really special hitter.

I also know a player that games the big “measurables” combine camp with a -11 bat. (And of course she plays for “one of those” teams.). She always has a top score in bat speed but that doesn’t change the fact that in games she hits push ground balls for easy outs and a has couple hr’s a year at 16’s.
Abbey Cheek…. Low 80’s… (Post was from 2020)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi