Auburn Hop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
No different then hitting.. One needs to be falling into there legs which also frees the hands as the pitch is being delivered.. Now I am not saying to jump as the pitch is being delivered :) This allows for all available resources to be available to react and direct the barrels momentum to the ball.

Well you should have the lead foot off the ground or at least totally weightless at pitcher's release...so it is the same kind of approach to me. Landing with direction in mind.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Well you should have the lead foot off the ground or at least totally weightless at pitcher's release...so it is the same kind of approach to me. Landing with direction in mind.

Butter, my point is the whole center of mass is lowering anticipating the pitch VS having all the weight over one side of the body (rear leg). Unless one believes the rear side drives to the front side (catcher/pitcher)..

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
giphy.gif

Thank you.

During games I've watched, both the 2Ber and SS are performing a synchronized hop.

w9fyw1.gif

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Butter, my point is the whole center of mass is lowering anticipating the pitch VS having all the weight over one side of the body (rear leg). Unless one believes the rear side drives to the front side (catcher/pitcher)..

The notion is that you will begin falling from 'peak distance off the ground' at impact, and using that time to 'read the path of the ball' such that you 'react properly'. I.e. ... hit the ground running.

May 3, 2014

I was agreeing with you.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Rather than say the COM is lowering anticipating the pitch, I prefer to think of it as the COM is lowering reading the ball off of the bat and preparing to react.

The anticipating work was performed when you got the pitcher's signs ... perhaps you re-positioned, etc. ... at this point you need to react to reality.

Oct 27, 2015
So not for the corners as they should be creeping in if the batter shows bunt... Auburn shows all their infielders doing it, what do mlb corners do?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I am really surprised to hear the coach say (0:20 mark) you want to be at the top of the hop when the hitter makes contact with the ball. I wouldn't be comfortable being in the air when contact is being made. Also, this removes the ability to anticipate. I would think you would want to land as the ball reaches the plate?

Bold above ... that is by design, and is what is desired.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06