Auburn Hop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
It isn't a question of anticipating ... that happens. The question for some is "when" in the sequence.

Fine..then I would say early anticipation has advantages over later anticipation if the "guess" is correct....then apply same argument. Note I am not saying which method
is better I am just pointing out what information should be used to determine this.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I agree Pattar. One of the objectives of "The Hop" is to eliminate potentially false movements such that you collect real data and go with directional movement in an aggressive ballistic purposeful motion.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Watched a 14A State Tournament yesterday. Observed two softball teams that had players using the hop.

Also watched a minor league baseball game. Both teams had players using the hop.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The notion of reacting, and not guessing, is taught for various positions within the game.

Catcher_Reacting2xx.gif

Sep 17, 2009
Auburn softball on teaching the 'hop' .....

This follow-up instructional video is well done. I don't like the hop by middle infielders without a creep. In the video, the narrator says that "most of their middle infielders" creep and then hop. But in most of the Auburn game videos the middle infielders hop from a flat footed start.

My preference would be for my middle infielders and even third basemen to be "closing" a bit on the ball via creep due to the speed of the game and use the hop to generate a great first directional step -- with middle infielders typically following that with continued hard steps and/or gathering steps and third basemen typically having only time for a single stab step left or right unless they are cutting off a ball in front of short.

FFS, do you advocate middle infielders doing a flat-footed jump as seen in the game footage? Or do you prefer a creep to jump (as Pedroia does and as is advocated here as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmKl3ZCJ_CQ )? I'd be curious.

I have grown to appreciate your thought on taking guessing out of infielder first steps, but I won't give up my creep :)

The jump technique would also be a great addition for a shortstop that needs to play the hitter and then break to second to cover a steal -- would keep them dynamic but not anticipating or "cheating" toward second and thus getting caught off balance on a ball hit at them on the steal.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Good thread..but why is it in the "Softball Hitting Technical" forum ????

The intent was to induce a discussion at a time in which a team that performed the mechanic was actively playing and observable. Using a forum that was active, amongst people with related interests, was thought to be helpful to get the discussion going.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06