Auburn Hop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
If nothing else, it would prevent the "hands on knees" softball ready position that is so common in rec leagues...

May 3, 2014
Worked on it this week with team. They really like it. Not sure how they will feel on Sunday after hopping all day saturday but you can absolutely see the foot work improve. I make sure they know this is old school stuff and that Auburn has made it trendy just so they know nothing new has been invented.

Oct 4, 2011
I am really surprised to hear the coach say (0:20 mark) you want to be at the top of the hop when the hitter makes contact with the ball. I wouldn't be comfortable being in the air when contact is being made. Also, this removes the ability to anticipate. I would think you would want to land as the ball reaches the plate?

Auburn softball on teaching the 'hop' .....

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I am really surprised to hear the coach say (0:20 mark) you want to be at the top of the hop when the hitter makes contact with the ball. I wouldn't be comfortable being in the air when contact is being made. Also, this removes the ability to anticipate. I would think you would want to land as the ball reaches the plate?

Auburn softball on teaching the 'hop' .....

There is a lot to be said for the old saying to "hit the ground running".

Oct 4, 2011
Hmmm.... You can't anticipate when the batter swings at the pitch when you are in the air. I talked to an Ex MLB SS (15 years) about this. He confirmed that you want to land as the ball enters the hitting zone. He also talked about anticipating and pitch location.

I've always encouraged feet in the air when ball crosses the plate.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Hmmm.... You can't anticipate when the batter swings at the pitch when you are in the air. I talked to an Ex MLB SS (15 years) about this. He confirmed that you want to land as the ball enters the hitting zone. He also talked about anticipating and pitch location.

I've always encouraged feet in the air when ball crosses the plate.

Watch a Boston Red Sox game and you will see this practiced .... with the fielder's feet furthest from the ground near ball/barrel impact.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Watch a Boston Red Sox game and you will see this practiced .... with the fielder's feet furthest from the ground near ball/barrel impact.

giphy.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
No different then hitting.. One needs to be falling into there legs which also frees the hands as the pitch is being delivered.. Now I am not saying to jump as the pitch is being delivered :) This allows for all available resources to be available to react and direct the barrels momentum to the ball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06