Asked to coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2011
SE Texas
f1l1sw.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is a pic of one of my clinics. Note that the girls need to turn their trunk, knee and toe up to the power line. You will have to remind your pitcher quite frequently. The girls in the picture don't have it, yet.

But, that is arm position 2, the first girl is in.

Amy,

Are you doing this drill to stretch or isolate a specific portion of the delivery? With this setup, their hips are kept from rotating open which will restrict shoulder turn significantly. You know much more than myself, I am just curious about the goal for this setup.
Thanks

Jul 26, 2010
I had a thought - at the same time you are developing pitchers, please get Dave Weaver's DVD and develop the catchers. It does my young students very little good, when the catcher can't catch.

Great point. Hopefully the league invested in mini-mite sized catchers gear to support this illustrious decision.

-W

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I take my pictures in the first few minutes, or I don't get them taken. So, my next direction to them, would have been "Shift your body, knee and foot, so that you are facing me."

The 2nd and 3rd girl's front foot is OK. That is the landing position. The girl 2nd from the right, in the gray t-shirt is pretty close to correct. The hips should be open, during this entire exercise.

I am isolating the arm circle and showing them how everything, including the ball stays above the power line.

I go through the 4 common arm positions. They don't have to worry about the feet and their timing from here, and I can emphasize that we don't lean forward. I also show them just how far the ball can go with the arm whip, only. Then, we stand up and talk about the pitching rubber, turn sideways (on the PL) and I emphasize "Now, your front foot is just like it was in the previous drill." We pitch from there, still not stepping - but using a weight shift. Weight shift is very difficult for most girls because of the lack of PE in the schools, now.

I am jumping ahead, but then, we add the stride, the timing, how the hands bring the left leg up (essentially), how the right foot and hips turn to (again) "get you open on the power line.

If anyone in Tucson wants to help me tape this, it might all fall together better - if I am talking and using a couple of girls.

I am a former PE major and 2nd grade classroom teacher, so I try to break everything down and reach the girls that don't understand. I am constantly making changes. The most recent has been emphasizing keeping the weight back and not allowing a bending at the waist, to begin with.

Feb 17, 2011
i use the same drill but have the front leg extended with ball of left foot on power line. reverse chaining is the way to go def. they seem to be able to work backwards pretty easily. i try to nip the locked are bowling thing in the bud...example first girl should have ball toward third with some bend in elbow working toward IR... starting with IR is way to go even at eight years old. I try to never teach something that will be untaught later.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Oh, and always ask "Who is a lefty?" and set them up on the other side of the line. I use a garden kneeling pad, for the knees.

Mar 7, 2011
SE Texas
I take my pictures in the first few minutes, or I don't get them taken. So, my next direction to them, would have been "Shift your body, knee and foot, so that you are facing me."

The 2nd and 3rd girl's front foot is OK. That is the landing position. The girl 2nd from the right, in the gray t-shirt is pretty close to correct. The hips should be open, during this entire exercise.

I am isolating the arm circle and showing them how everything, including the ball stays above the power line.

I go through the 4 common arm positions. They don't have to worry about the feet and their timing from here, and I can emphasize that we don't lean forward. I also show them just how far the ball can go with the arm whip, only. Then, we stand up and talk about the pitching rubber, turn sideways (on the PL) and I emphasize "Now, your front foot is just like it was in the previous drill." We pitch from there, still not stepping - but using a weight shift. Weight shift is very difficult for most girls because of the lack of PE in the schools, now.

I am jumping ahead, but then, we add the stride, the timing, how the hands bring the left leg up (essentially), how the right foot and hips turn to (again) "get you open on the power line.

If anyone in Tucson wants to help me tape this, it might all fall together better - if I am talking and using a couple of girls.

I am a former PE major and 2nd grade classroom teacher, so I try to break everything down and reach the girls that don't understand. I am constantly making changes. The most recent has been emphasizing keeping the weight back and not allowing a bending at the waist, to begin with.

Thanks Amy. Is it a point of emphasis to align the shoulders with the power line even though the hips will only be semi-open? My guess is that you are setting them up here in a "coiled" setup? Hip opening comes later with progression of drills?

Also, the backward chaining has to be the only approach to building a good foundation IMO.

May 18, 2009
I'm sure I'm going to catch flak for IR work. It's just not taught or parts of it are taught/bastardized but the bowling arm seems to be the common teaching method here. I've come to the conclussion the IR is the best from all the research and reading these forums. I've been working on it with youngest DD. Oldest went through the bowling motion training as that was all that was available. I know I'll receive the questions about how and why. Might be ordering Hillhouse's DVD today.

Working backwards is the key? I never started the girls that way but then I was doing the initial coaching and learned by watching what others were doing.

1. Wrist flips
2. the second motion noted above/arm at 3
3. Arm at 12
4. full arm motion. Does this include the arm rocking back?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
4. No. Not in my lessons and warm ups. Developing their pre-motion is a whole different story. Some know what they want to do, already. I would like for them to "barrel roll" in front of their body, but I haven't talked anyone into it.

May 18, 2009
I was unable to do the kneel down drills with the girls. They just didn't seem to understand the entire kneeling thing. I worked backwards from a standing position. Had about 8 or 9 girls. 4 that took to it right away and all of them seem like they could get it with practice. Two or three that will work with parents. It went well. We will see on Tuesday if anything stuck or if I will be starting over.

Does anyone know a site where I can download a picture of proper finger grip? I would like to give it to the girls so they remember how to place the fingers while at home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch