Asked to coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
A little nervous about it. First time I've been asked to work with young pitchers other than my DD's.

Can you guys give me tips on working with a group of first time girls? Age 6/7. It was easy with my youngest but she's had a ball in her hand since she was three.

I will have about an hour to work with them. Drills to start with?

Jul 26, 2010
You're teaching 6/7 year olds to pitch? Is this some sort of North Korean torture camp you got sent to?

-W

Jan 17, 2010
Based on their age and the time limitations, I would work on Ts and Ls and consider having the kids pitch slingshot.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
First off, you need to teach them to throw overhand. (That is going to take several years.) :)

What size ball are you using and are they pitching from 32 feet?

If a parent won't help each girl at home, every day, I would move on to another girl. I start the tiny girls out on one knee, hips turned toward the power line, front foot out and toes angled toward the power line. Then, I do backwards chaining (flips, arm straight back, reach for the sky, full arm circle.) The, girls can do these to each other. Put down a tape, chalk, etc. for the power line.

Oh, don't forget to show them the grip. I had to mark it on a ball for a girl, last week.

May 18, 2009
These are all first year 8u girls. My DD is one of them and she's picked up the pitching quickly and because of that I've been volunteered to help with the younger girls that want to learn. We will be using the soft 10" balls with the cloth covers. Red and black stitching. I will probably have four or five girls after every practice during league to work with. I'm not sure on distance yet? I think 35ft but maybe 30? This is the first year they've implemented pitching in 8u.The league is changing formats to compete better as the girls age. We are finding that there aren't enough pitchers in 10U and 12U.

Grip is always the first thing I show. It's also the first thing I look at when there's a problem with accuracy when the form is good.

Any videos to recommend to the parents of the young girls that want to learn?

Right now weather is the biggest draw back to practice. We just can't seem to catch a break. Should've started in January when the weather was good;)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
f1l1sw.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is a pic of one of my clinics. Note that the girls need to turn their trunk, knee and toe up to the power line. You will have to remind your pitcher quite frequently. The girls in the picture don't have it, yet.

But, that is arm position 2, the first girl is in.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Been there, done that...

You have to set your expectation level appropriately. The girls most likely will only practice with you. Nothing will be done at home. You will likely have only 1 or 2 girls beside your DD who can put the ball near the plate.

Then, of course, you are going to have to pitch the players who can't hit the backstop--because otherwise the parents will complain.

I agree with starsnuffer...exactly what did you do to deserve this?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
Been there, done that...

You have to set your expectation level appropriately. The girls most likely will only practice with you. Nothing will be done at home. You will likely have only 1 or 2 girls beside your DD who can put the ball near the plate.

Then, of course, you are going to have to pitch the players who can't hit the backstop--because otherwise the parents will complain.

I agree with starsnuffer...exactly what did you do to deserve this?

When they were discussing this, he probably excused himself to the bathroom.
That's how I always ended up in trouble!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I had a thought - at the same time you are developing pitchers, please get Dave Weaver's DVD and develop the catchers. It does my young students very little good, when the catcher can't catch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie