ASA Tie Breaker vs ISF tie breaker

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BucketLover

BucketLover
Jan 24, 2014
Just outside of the foul lines
Forgive my ignorance, but the ASA rule book states that after 7 innings it will use the tie breaker rule in championship play. I've searched and searched but can't find what the ASA tie breaker rule is, is it the International tie breaker rule, but they don't want to mention ISF in their rule book or is it something totally different? Thanks in advance.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Forgive my ignorance, but the ASA rule book states that after 7 innings it will use the tie breaker rule in championship play. I've searched and searched but can't find what the ASA tie breaker rule is, is it the International tie breaker rule, but they don't want to mention ISF in their rule book or is it something totally different? Thanks in advance.

Pretty much ISF, see ASA Rule 5, Section 11 A & B. Also see Rule 5, Section 10.D for "no time limit."

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Technically, there is no "International" Tie-Breaker rule.

The tie breaker rule (9th batter in the inning starts at second base) was first used in the ISF rule set. It has been copied and used by most of the other softball alphabets.

Since it was first used in ISF rules, it has come to be known as the International Tie Breaker rule.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Technically, there is no "International" Tie-Breaker rule.

The tie breaker rule (9th batter in the inning starts at second base) was first used in the ISF rule set. It has been copied and used by most of the other softball alphabets.

Since it was first used in ISF rules, it has come to be known as the International Tie Breaker rule.

Sorry, cannot help myself here. It is the last batting position due that inning physically occupied by a player. IOW, if shorthanded, the batter occupying the 8th position due that inning is placed on 2B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball