14/16/18

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2019
What have folks seen with how 16u gets utilized?

In the Northeast I’ve seen some orgs often move top players straight from 14 to 18 and skip 16s completely. Or they use 16u for stronger 14s and a few 15s.

Just curious how the 16u grouping gets used differently at the different levels of play.

May 13, 2023
What have folks seen with how 16u gets utilized?

In the Northeast I’ve seen some orgs often move top players straight from 14 to 18 and skip 16s completely. Or they use 16u for stronger 14s and a few 15s.

Just curious how the 16u grouping gets used differently at the different levels of play.
Good question!
I look at it like this,
Softball is not an age bracket it is different competitive Talent levels.
Basically there are age brackets to determine older players not staying down.

Often younger strong 14u players are moved up to more competitive teams in an age bracket 16/18u can accept those ages. Basically any age can play up.
There are times when there's not enough say 16s to form a team so they bump everyone to 18 so everybody can have a team.

In areas/situations where there are enough players to build both teams 16u and 18u. The talent level May determine better which team the 14U player is Suited for.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
High level organizations will do their best to create the most competitive team in each age division. They will usually have multiple teams per age divisions because of the volume of players at tryouts. The Elite 18U team will put all of their P5 commits and soon to be committed on the same team which means they are 18U age appropriate. Then they will put their Mid major D1 and others on the secondary 18U team and so on. As Rad says they will divide them up by talent or perceived talent level. They are building these to win Nationals.

Not quite elite programs but compete: Doesn't have the same volume of players. They will put the best athletes that come to tryouts on the highest level team and filter down the rest based on age. You will see 8th graders on some of these 18U teams if they can compete. Why not? Some of these teams will have D1 committed players mixed in with all the rest of the divisions. Don't always chase the shiny sparkly teams. Just be on a team that plays those teams!!!!

People seem to believe that recruiting only happens at the 16U divisions. Completely wrong. Teams that have committed players at the 18U age divisions attract college coaches more so than a team of uncommitted unknown 16U players. Don't get scared off if a "nice" 18U team gives your kid an offer if you are worried about recruiting.

Aug 5, 2022
Depends on the organization. Many move committed kids to 18u ours does not. For us you stick with your age

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2010
From a recruiting point of view I would be concerned that colleges are seeing the players you want them to see at a time when that school is recruiting that class. (Or has openings in that class.)

May 27, 2013
IME, the really good 16U teams would typically play in the same pools as the 18U teams with committed kids at the showcases in the NE. The “ok” 16U teams would stick to their own age group. Usually the prime fields/locations in the NE are given to the 18U teams. Not saying this happens everywhere, but saw it at Pennsbury, NE’s Finest, and even in FL at D9 a few years ago. The majority of college coaches were at the prime fields. College coaches definitely do want to see potential recruits as well as their current recruits playing.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I'm in the Northeast, too, and I see them move kids right past the appropriate age group a lot. One organization, whose head was a D2 coach until he got fired this season, says he doesn't believe in 16U. I think that's just absurd, but that's his mantra.

I agree that if you find a good 18U team, you shouldn't be afraid to give them a try. My friend's daughter had her coach college show up to watch her play, so there's still an opportunity for her to see other unsigned players. But, I do think more major recruiting takes place at 16U.

Ultimately, find the best fit for your daughter. That's what matters most.

Oct 3, 2019
What I've seen is the 16s that go straight to 18u, sit a lot due to the fact that the already committed, get the playing time. Seems illogical to me to have what is thought to be, top 16s, not playing.

May 27, 2013
What I've seen is the 16s that go straight to 18u, sit a lot due to the fact that the already committed, get the playing time. Seems illogical to me to have what is thought to be, top 16s, not playing.

That’s a poorly run team, then. If college coaches are there to see the uncommitted kids play, then those kids should be in the game. Now if those players aren’t reaching out to coaches and no one is there to see them play due to that, then that’s on those players.

Shouldn’t matter what age the players are if they are getting coaches to come and watch them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414