ASA rule on dropped 3rd strike.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Is the runner at 1st forced to advance to 2nd by the BR attempting to reach 1st? The answer is yes, it is a force.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
One thing you need to do is train your C to know the rules, not on purpose but last night with base loaded and 1 out our batter-runner ran to 1st on a dropped 3rd strike. C throws the ball down to 1st and we scored a couple runs. The batter was out because 1st was occupied, with less than 2 outs, and the throw should not have been made.

We also have a young Team and teach the batter to run on all dropped 3rd strikes, we will sort the rules out latter so the C needs to know what is going on.
Teach the catcher that even with 2 outs and bases loaded she doesn't have to throw to first, she just has to step on home to force out the runner from third

Nov 21, 2012
New England
As a general observation, softball players and coaches pre-NCAA are, at best, poor and knowing the playing situation, runner situation, number of outs and the count. This is drastically different than baseball.

If I had a dollar for every time I was asked the count or the number of outs, I could retire tomorrow. How neither coaches nor players can simply add "1" to the ball, strike or out from the prior pitch is beyond me. I have gotten to the point where I tell the coach/player to check with their book.

Probably because they don't have a little clicker in their hand adding it for them. :)

Mar 2, 2013
Probably because they don't have a little clicker in their hand adding it for them. :)

Neither do I. Haven't used one in a decade. Nothing prohibits a coach from using one anyway.

See, it's the poor thinking and focus of players and coaches. How did they decide what to do on the last pitch? Did they forget that already? I mean, it did happen 12 seconds ago. How did the batter know whether to take, swing or bunt?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If I had a dollar for every time I was asked the count or the number of outs, I could retire tomorrow. How neither coaches nor players can simply add "1" to the ball, strike or out from the prior pitch is beyond me. I have gotten to the point where I tell the coach/player to check with their book.

Is it bad form to ask? I run the scorebook for my DD's 8U team, and there is usually at least one time per game where I miss a pitch or the ump didn't make a call (happens frequently with stolen bases), and I verify the count.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Is it bad form to ask? I run the scorebook for my DD's 8U team, and there is usually at least one time per game where I miss a pitch or the ump didn't make a call (happens frequently with stolen bases), and I verify the count.

It would be nice if all umps made clear calls on balls/strikes wouldn't it?
Also be nice if they occasionally held up the count; some are better than others.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

Absolutely not! Umpire is just being a grumpy ol man. A batter, player, or coach should never hesitate or be afraid to ask or confirm what the count is. Particularly so if you are the home team's scorer and your book is the official book.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Absolutely not! Umpire is just being a grumpy ol man. A batter, player, or coach should never hesitate or be afraid to ask or confirm what the count is. Particularly so if you are the home team's scorer and your book is the official book.

Thanks. On more than one occasion, I've have an ump check with me to make sure they had it right.

Mar 2, 2013
I don't have a problem with someone asking occassionaly. That is certainly fine. Anyone could lose track of the count. The problem is when you give the count and they aren't paying attention and ask for it again. The problem is when you just said "3 balls, 1 strike" then call the next pitch "strike" and before you can take a breath you hear, "Hey, Blue, what's the count?" We are umpires, not score boards. Why don't coaches bug the score keeper for the count rather than asking the umpires all the time, quite possibly distracting them from other responsibilities?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie