ASA rule on dropped 3rd strike.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
If you have a runner on 1b she will stealing 2b anytime C drops the ball so if c drops third strike 1b isn't technically occupied because that runner is running to steal 2b. How do they determine that?

It is determined at the start of the pitch.

Mar 13, 2010
The batter becomes a batter-runner when the catcher fails to catch the 3rd strike before the ball touches the ground when (1) there are less than two outs and 1st base in unoccupied at the time of the pitch or (2) anytime there are two outs.

ASA Rule 8 Sec.1 B.

Mar 2, 2013
As a general observation, softball players and coaches pre-NCAA are, at best, poor and knowing the playing situation, runner situation, number of outs and the count. This is drastically different than baseball.

If I had a dollar for every time I was asked the count or the number of outs, I could retire tomorrow. How neither coaches nor players can simply add "1" to the ball, strike or out from the prior pitch is beyond me. I have gotten to the point where I tell the coach/player to check with their book.

If you have a runner on 1b she will stealing 2b anytime C drops the ball so if c drops third strike 1b isn't technically occupied because that runner is running to steal 2b. How do they determine that?

Uhh, not unless the ball rolls far away. If the ball bounces in or is just dropped and is within reach of the catcher your runner better not be going although I guess this is age dependent, I'm coaching 14U now and most catchers if the ball is within reach will throw you out on a delayed type steal like the one you describe. I guess at 10U and some 12U you can get away with it.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
As a general observation, softball players and coaches pre-NCAA are, at best, poor and knowing the playing situation, runner situation, number of outs and the count. This is drastically different than baseball.

If I had a dollar for every time I was asked the count or the number of outs, I could retire tomorrow. How neither coaches nor players can simply add "1" to the ball, strike or out from the prior pitch is beyond me. I have gotten to the point where I tell the coach/player to check with their book.

Sounds like you have gotten to the point where you should retire.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The title " dropped" is deceiving because this play can occur even if the catcher cleanly secures the ball after it has bounced off the plate.(assuming the batter has swung the bat)
Just last week we had two outs with bases loaded. My batter swings and misses the third strike, but the ball was trapped under the catchers mitt (not a clean catch) all runners go ahead and advance. Instead of simply stepping on home plate, their catcher overthrows first and we scored two runs.

Mar 2, 2013
The title " dropped" is deceiving because this play can occur even if the catcher cleanly secures the ball after it has bounced off the plate.(assuming the batter has swung the bat)
Just last week we had two outs with bases loaded. My batter swings and misses the third strike, but the ball was trapped under the catchers mitt (not a clean catch) all runners go ahead and advance. Instead of simply stepping on home plate, their catcher overthrows first and we scored two runs.

That's why the rule uses the term "uncaught." They stick with the definition, but then stupidly say, "This is known as a dropped third strike."

Interesting that you just used the term "trapped." That term has been eliminated from most rule books. Why? Because it is either caught or uncaught. Since a "trapped" ball is a not a caught ball, the term is pointless; thus, it's removal.

Jun 24, 2013
Also something to be aware of is the DTS deception play that some less honorable coaches will use. Here's how it works:
Batter has less than 2 strikes on them, on the second strike the batter takes off for first. The catcher panics and makes an errant throw to first causing any runners on base to advance. The batter returns to the box for her next pitch claiming she thought it was a DTS. So make your catchers aware that they need to know the count. At the younger ages it helps to have a signal until they learn it. No signal, no throw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie