ASA: Pickup Player Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
Is there any way an player on a A team could be picked up to play on a B team? This is for a ASA tournament.

Our #1 pitcher is out and we were set to go to Western Regionals. We are a B team. We found a pitcher and she was willing to play for us, but her coach said since she was on an A team she could be a pickup player on another 14U A team or 16U, but not for a 14U B team.

Jan 25, 2011
CPSBDad, you might be the first person this year, say your a B team. I was wondering if any B teams or players were out there. Usually every team and player is A.;)

Feb 3, 2011
Is there any way an player on a A team could be picked up to play on a B team? This is for a ASA tournament.

Our #1 pitcher is out and we were set to go to Western Regionals. We are a B team. We found a pitcher and she was willing to play for us, but her coach said since she was on an A team she could be a pickup player on another 14U A team or 16U, but not for a 14U B team.
What the coach told you is correct. This is ironclad. If her team entered an ASA A tournament anytime after March 31st, she is considered an A player for the remainder of the calendar year and is ineligible to play in ASA B tournaments, regardless of age division. She could play for your team, however, in any non-ASA events. But, for an ASA B tournament, if you were to submit your roster with an A player, it would be flagged by the roster verification system.

You'll have to limit your search to ASA B teams, which consist of players who played spring rec and then joined a B team - like All-stars - no earlier than May 1st.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Part of the problem here is that so many abuse the "B" classification, many don't know what is right or not. An ASA B team is supposedly restricted to players from a specific league.

Don't know where you got the March 31 date, nothing in the ASA Code concerning a specific date and I doubt there would be as qualifying tournaments are held at various times around the country. Your date may be specific to your state/metro assn.

Nov 29, 2009
if you were to submit your roster with an A player, it would be flagged by the roster verification system.

Now you're singing in the rain. The antiquated ASA does not have an automatic system in place that would flag a player. The only way they find out anything is if a coach files a complaint. By then the games are over and they sit on their hands hoping it will go away. At least that's what our local Metro does.

Jan 22, 2011
Part of the problem here is that so many abuse the "B" classification, many don't know what is right or not. An ASA B team is supposedly restricted to players from a specific league.

Don't know where you got the March 31 date, nothing in the ASA Code concerning a specific date and I doubt there would be as qualifying tournaments are held at various times around the country. Your date may be specific to your state/metro assn.

ASA Region 14 calls out that 'B' players can't have played for an 'A' team after the last full weekend in April.
http://norcalasa.org/jo/pdf/JO_HANDBOOK.pdf

When one of our teams went to the 'B' Western Regionals back in 2007, we found that Colorado had different 'B' eligibility rules than Region 14. Region 14 is California, Hawaii, and Nevada.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
Now you're singing in the rain. The antiquated ASA does not have an automatic system in place that would flag a player. The only way they find out anything is if a coach files a complaint. By then the games are over and they sit on their hands hoping it will go away. At least that's what our local Metro does.
Your metro may be a little behind the times. ;)

There are ways to skirt the system. You mention coach/parent complaints. That used to be the only way to know if a rec player was also playing for a travel team. You saw them at the field playing for a tournament team and made a phone call to complain that #1 should no longer be eligible for All-stars. Now you've got more players than ever playing TB. So, at registration for a B event, there's a roster check to ensure that none of your registered players were also registered for a TB team. Where people still get away with violating this is by having the supposed rec player also playing for a TB team that isn't registered with ASA and only plays non-ASA events. This enables the player to technically remain eligible for All-stars

According to the local commissioner, all the Region 14 associations are supposed to be playing by the same rules as far as team classification and player eligibility are concerned. I could understand why the cutoffs would be different in the upper midwest or the northeast, and those B teams would almost never face one another anyway. But I will ask why ours is 4 weeks before the published guideline.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I never realized there was an ASA B-level. In GA the B-level tournaments are typically run by other sanctions - USFA, USSSA, Camsports, Triple Crown, GSA, ect.

Jun 21, 2010
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, we are a B team :) ( though my DD is an A player :cool: ). Actually, this team should have been an A team because of the amount of returning players--so I as told. But they got permission to play B and that still didn't help our poor team :p I myself would prefer to end the season and move on to tryouts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA