ASA Bat Testing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
As I was roaming through the 14A ASA National's site, I found the following under the coaches packet.

5. Bats. All bats used in the tournament must be tested at check-in or at tournament headquarters prior to your first game.

Is this new or has it been going on for awhile? Are they compression testing them and then marking the bat as tested? I do like the idea of them finally testing the bats at the national tournaments. It would be nice if they could do it more often, but I understand the difficulty in doing this.

Jun 22, 2008
Every asa national I have worked any bat to be used had to be presented for testing. If it did not pass it was held until the team was eliminated from play. If it passed a tamper proof sticker was put on the bat and the umpires were instructed to make sure every bat coming to the plate had a sticker.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I know they tested bats last year and put stickers on them when they passed. Some bats failed on one tester, but passed on others, so try multiple testers if your fails.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Bat inspection has always been a little hit and miss.

Is there a pentely if you get caught with a shaved bat before the game?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

Lots of bats were failing test and it was NOT because they were shaved. Brand new bats out of the wrapper were failing tests on some machines.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

There was no penalty for bats that failed the tests, but only bats with approval stickers were allowed in the dugouts.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Compression testing has been the norm in ASA Slow Pitch national tournaments for several years now. I believe 2015 was the first year it was required for all ASA Fast Pitch National tournaments as well. Some tournament committees prior to last year had decided to implement bat testing for their tournaments.

Jun 11, 2013
We actually had 2 bats snap in half this weekend during the same game. The first one was hanging on by a thread so Umpire told us
to take it out of the game. The second one flew off and almost hit P. The ump asked us to confirm that it wasn't the first one being
used again. I thought he was kidding until he forced us to produce the first bat.

Nov 3, 2013
Stoddard, WI
We had all bats tested this weekend at Nationals. Then before each game they were presented for inspection of the sticker. We lost two Xeno's and LXT's for handle twist at the barrel during pregame inspection. Blue told us they had a whole pile of them in the trailer for the same thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish