ASA Bat Testing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Had 3 bats fail compression testing until I showed the ump ASA's Compression numbers on the usa.org website. It amazed me how they had 1550 for all bats but LXT and Xeno's test at 1400. Not sure why the list that ASA produces and approves wouldn't have been printed out and used.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Had 3 bats fail compression testing until I showed the ump ASA's Compression numbers on the usa.org website. It amazed me how they had 1550 for all bats but LXT and Xeno's test at 1400. Not sure why the list that ASA produces and approves wouldn't have been printed out and used.

Why would LXT and Xeno's be testing at a different compression? Not sure how the testers are calibrated, but last year at ASA it was basically a green light for pass, and red light for fail, so not sure how many "settings" were available for different model bats.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Why would LXT and Xeno's be testing at a different compression? Not sure how the testers are calibrated, but last year at ASA it was basically a green light for pass, and red light for fail, so not sure how many "settings" were available for different model bats.

It is due to how the composite is laid during production. I don't know the difference but non linear bats have a lower compression versus linear.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama

Same deal last year for us. I was sitting in the coaches meeting when I got a text from my wife about several of our teams bats failing. I had already heard from another coach in the org that they were having issues at their site. I even asked the UIC about the problem during the meeting and they had no idea about the list produced by ASA and on their website concerning compression testing non linear bats.

Jun 23, 2016
Same deal last year for us. I was sitting in the coaches meeting when I got a text from my wife about several of our teams bats failing. I had already heard from another coach in the org that they were having issues at their site. I even asked the UIC about the problem during the meeting and they had no idea about the list produced by ASA and on their website concerning compression testing non linear bats.

It's always good to be a little proactive about these sorts of things. If I were a coach, I'd make sure to have the ASA printout regarding non-linear bats and their compression test settings, a current Non-Approved Bat List, and a current Approved Bat List for each bat being used.

Last year was the first year that ASA made compression testing mandatory for all National Championships. Previously, it was left up to the Tournament Director to decide if and how to do compression testing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd