ASA 2012 Rule Change - Age ellibility

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
To me it makes sense to have the eligibility date coincide with school dates. My DD is the only one on the team in 7th grade, the rest are 8th grade.

I agree. I have always wondered why they didn't do this...especially since the season runs Sept-August.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
To me it makes sense to have the eligibility date coincide with school dates. My DD is the only one on the team in 7th grade, the rest are 8th grade.
Likewise. DD is the only 12yo in 7th grade. All the other girls are 8th or 9th grade. I see a big difference between her and the 9th graders both physically and emotionally.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I agree. I have always wondered why they didn't do this...especially since the season runs Sept-August.

To start, ASA was in Sep at one point, and secondly, ASA is not, isn't meant to be, nor should it be based around school classes.

Nov 14, 2011
MTR,

Why shouldn't the age be structured around school ages? It makes sense doesn't it?

I take it you voted against it? What is your argument against the date change?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
MTR,

Why shouldn't the age be structured around school ages? It makes sense doesn't it?

I take it you voted against it? What is your argument against the date change?

Why should it be? What does whatever class a child reaches at a particular stage have to do with level of softball abilities or physical and maturity necessary?

As noted in this thread, a particular age does not dictate a class, not all schools play softball at various levels and for that matter, there are a minimum of three separate school softball seasons of which I am aware.

ASA is about softball, not educational levels and the only consistent standard is age which often does coincide with the physical and maturity levels it requires to play and interact with others of the same level.

Again, it is about softball, that's all.

Jul 26, 2010
Schools in California use the Jan1 cut-off date as well. Not all school systems for all states are the same.

-W

Jan 20, 2010
To start, ASA was in Sep at one point, and secondly, ASA is not, isn't meant to be, nor should it be based around school classes.

I wasn't talking about school year...I was talking about the typical softball season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp