ASA 2012 Rule Change - Age ellibility

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
I read most of the posts here on this forum but I haven't seen an answer to this question, just people debating it. Does anyone know for sure if the ASA rule change for age been passed?

Specifically proposal #37 - A player's age as of September 1 is the age in which the player is eligible to play the following year.

I have a 12 year old daughter with a birthday in December, she turns 13. Question: Would she be eligible to stay down in 12U this spring?

Nov 29, 2009
If it passed then I doubt it would be in effect until the 2013 season. Team rosters are set for the 2012 season. so far I haven't heard anything. I think if something that dramatic passed it would light up the message boards like the 4th of July.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I read most of the posts here on this forum but I haven't seen an answer to this question, just people debating it. Does anyone know for sure if the ASA rule change for age been passed?

To start, that would not be a rule change, but a code change.

Specifically proposal #37 - A player's age as of September 1 is the age in which the player is eligible to play the following year.

I have a 12 year old daughter with a birthday in December, she turns 13. Question: Would she be eligible to stay down in 12U this spring?

If you actually read it, you would not have seen this proposal as an approved change, so the answer is no, there has been no change to this part of the code.

Nov 14, 2011
MTR,

If you actually read it? Not sure how to follow you. Not sure what you are implying..... :-(

I took the proposed code amendment from the meeting held last week in Myrtle Beach. No where on the document does it state whether the proposed amendment was accepted or rejected.

Now, if you know if was rejected, tell me that. If it was accepted, tell me that. But to tell me to actually read it, and then make assumptions? Really.... Show me where it was accepted or rejected.

Maybe I'm not following you and you are actually trying to be polite.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
MTR,

If you actually read it? Not sure how to follow you. Not sure what you are implying..... :-(

If you read the thread ASA Code Changes for 2012 - Final (which I posted from the back of the hall of the conference room as the voting finished up), you will not see Change #37 as approved.

ASA has yet to post the changes with explanations of the effect of the changes. That will happen once they have completely reviewed and determine exact wording and how it will appear in the code. This is done to try to remedy any ambiguities prior to going to print.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD has one of those crappy Dec birthdays. I'd like to see her play 12s again next year but I doubt she'd want to go back down after playing 14s this fall.

Nov 14, 2011
To me it makes sense to have the eligibility date coincide with school dates. My DD is the only one on the team in 7th grade, the rest are 8th grade.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I know ms244 and I agree. My own DD's BD is Oct. 28th. She was too young to start kindergarten in Sept., so she waited a year. Then, softball makes her play up a grade. She was unable to make the one 12U team that we were near, because she was 10. The coach told me she needs to play 10U. I said I know, but she has an October BD. (And this was 12 years ago.) But, then, in MS school ball, she played with her age group.

Now, my granddaughter was born on Dec. 29th. So, what is the date as it stands, now? Jan.2nd?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp