As a former coach, what would you do???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
I coached a team for 5 seasons, and then moved on to a travel team with my DD. We took 2 other girls with us: all three were done with Rec Ball and not old enough to move up with the team.

Of the team that was left after our departure, three girls are travel/select material. Girl 1 & 2 tried out for team A; girl 1 made it. Girl 2 tried out for team B, as well as girl 3 (who didn't try out for team A). Girl 2 made it, but not girl 3. IMHO, girl 3 is the better travel pick, but per her mom, had a horrible day on the field...(I was told this before they found out who made it and who didn't)

I have coached these kids and KNOW them...Do I make a call to team B's coach or not? I just think she should be given a second try-out....
Or do I keep my nose out of it?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The phone call is OK in my book. You are trying to help the girl and the coach out. It might help, it might not, but it isn't going to hurt. I would emphasize your interactions with her (she is a great, parents are great, etc.) and that the player might have had a rough time that day, and it would be a shame for his team and the girl for her not to get to play.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Make the call-
I try to zero in on the nervous girl who has a bad tryout. I try to open a dialogue with parents,
so if she is a bubble player, there will be a chance to try her a 2nd time (privately if necessary)
The skilled girl having a bad tryout is easy to see

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Do you know the other coach? You didnt say.

What would your reaction be if someone called you up and basically told you that you picked the wrong player at tryouts? That your assessment of these players is better than theirs?

Some might just get offended, and blacklist that girl forever.

Abilities shine thru a lot even when performance is poor. A girl might miss some balls, but how she moves, her speed, how she sets up, makes plays, and how strong her arm is will show. She might hit poorly in just a couple pitches, but the strength in the swing, mechanics of it, and confidence at the plate, etc will show too. Speed on the bases is hard to have a "bad day" with too.

You know what Im saying. You can often spot the better athlete, even when they have an off day.

Personally, I might try to find the girl another team to tryout for, but it wouldnt be one that just cut her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes