Arm extension after POC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

nib

Dec 23, 2015
I just jumped into this mid stream, studying up on the follow through after contact, since I feel like it is more important than some people emphasize. So I would say, no, but I am certainly willing to try it on for size.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Okay. So you seem to have an affinity for connection and front side hitting. Would you like to drop a truth bomb so I/We can understand your point of view?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
LOL! Tough crowd here! Must be some back channel story I am unaware of, and I am perfectly happy to remain unaware. I have noticed some interesting interpersonal dynamics in hitting forums.

rdbass, I have found your GIFs very helpful on BBF, thanks for all the visuals!

I am just looking for understanding, looking for clarity. I don't have a "belief", just making observations.

Eric F, thanks for the welcome! I agree about the the Cabrera GIFs and I see a bit of wrist action there.

Bottom line is whether I agree or not with others' assessments, to think it through helps me.

Whether it be ski racing, martial arts, hitting (and throwing), or almost any other athletic endeavor, a poorly balanced and/or improperly positioned torso will prevent the athlete from moving dynamically and efficiently and effectively coordinating/synchronizing the movement of their extremities to achieve maximum performance. In other words, the body needs to be in the right position, and capable of dynamically adjusting to continuously maintain that position, to enable any specific athletic "it" to happen.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
nib, I'm sorry for acting like an a$$ yesterday. Your timing was such, that it came off like a car dealer sales tactics - where a 2nd guy comes in to close the deal... Is it too late to say Welcome? :D

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Greetings, all. New here, just trying to learn about hitting for my kids, and found my way here. Interesting discussion!

As I look at the GIF, maybe I see it wrong. My background is not in high level baseball. I am a physician, and was a ski instructor and ski racing coach through college, and have a fairly extensive martial arts background. Therefore I am not clear on a lot of the jargon here. It's not really the way I am used to reading about athletic movements being described.

I see Trout generating momentum with his turn or rotation, and the front arm translating that to the bat, front wrist being a hinge. It appears that the deployment of the front arm is in direct linkage perpendicular to the axis of rotation. The initial angle along the shoulder line of the front arm is fairly tight, opening only slightly for the first half of the GIF. The second half of the GIF, that angle increases gradually, as the bat stays right on that same plane, secondarily deployed as a pendulum in a flail action, at least that's what we called it in golf. Looks to me like the rear arm is assisting the front arm deployment. It only appears to trail initially, maybe wrist is dorsiflexed and moves to neutral as the forearm supinates during elbow extension. Second half (roughly) the rear arm extends to smoothly deploy the front arm to contact, much like the central arm in a drafting compass. Looks like an efficient preservation and translation of his rotating momentum with minimum loss of potential energy.

I can't tell that the hands have anything to do with this at all, except to hold the bat. Is hand-path, and knowing where the hands have to be, some kind of Caddyshack-like "be the ball" type thing? I guess I am not in Mike Trout's head, just looking at the GIF. I know back in the day, if I would have said "Marc Girardelli's feet recruit the whole body to accomplish the task", I would be fired from the ski team. Not trying to be too glib, maybe I need more education...
In your analysis, the rear side is thought of as an assist. Would you agree that the rear side is normally the hitters dominate side? If this were a stick sport, such as hockey or lacrosse, would you have the same analysis? Why would a hitter relegate their dominant side to just an assisting force? Why would a hitter look to preserve so much energy for the rear side, only to have the front side steal all the glory? That doesn't make sense, right?

In regards to the top hand articulations, there is more to it than just supinate and extension. There are some stretch shortening cycles taking place too - for prepping/moving the barrel. You left out the radial/ulnar deviators. Are you familiar with the "tip n rip" concept? Do you think it's possible that these articulations can also be used for minor adjustments? Do you think a combination of these articulations and elbow extension also aids in adjustments? And then mann mentioned the proper grip, hand pressure and hand orientation while going through the ball. This all comes into play when getting to proper extension.
TopHandArticulations.gif

The Caddyshack "be the ball" move: If I asked you to do just 2 things - flash the knob to the pitcher OR flash the knob to the opposite batters box - not pulling/pushing the knob, just flashing. Sounds easy, right? If I asked you to only flash the knob at the pitcher when I say "fb in" AND I ask you to flash the knob at the opposite batters box when I say either "fb out", "breaking pitch". Could you get good at that? Now I want you to go back and look at video. Look for swings where the hitter got a fb in. Watch where he flashes the knob. Look for the fb out OR breaking balls - watch where he flashes the knob.

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Howe,

I like your use of the word "flash". Maybe that will prevent some people from using the word "THEN"....
Thanks FP. Always looking for a better way to communicate things.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Yogi once said: “How can you think and hit at the same time?”

Train the hands and trust the hands...

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
nip, this collage - of the same hitter - shows the reaction to 96 out, 94 in, 85 out and 80 in. In 3 of these swings, he flashes the knob to the opposite batters box. In 1 of the swings, he flashes it to the pitcher.

Cabrera_96o_94i_85o_80i_sync.gif

btw, I do realize what I'm saying may be a bit much for you right now. Many here and elsewhere have told me so. Then it starts to sink in.

Last edited:

nib

Dec 23, 2015
nib, I'm sorry for acting like an a$$ yesterday. Your timing was such, that it came off like a car dealer sales tactics - where a 2nd guy comes in to close the deal... Is it too late to say Welcome? :D

No problem, thanks, and Merry Christmas!

I will catch up in a couple days, I appreciate it!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55