Are there any sane people left in softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
Ok... I have seen fights, police called, parents trying to run a coach down with their car in the parking lot, parents 'dating' the coach for playing time (yes really), some sort of carnival in the stands, an 'all nations war' soccer league, parents who have run 3x as far on the sideline as their kid in a game , teams that disbanded DURING the game and a couple of things that made the national news... but for whatever reason this is the one incident that always comes to mind first. I think because of the age of the girls, the semi-circle of parents behind the coaches and just everything about it.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/coa...mbest-thing-parent-ever-said-2.html#post94629

I was sitting next to a post-game wrap up for a 10U team not long ago, from a very well known, high level org. The coach was unleashing on those kids. And they won the game! I can't imagine how he goes off on them when they lose. I don't mind a coach being tough with the kids, but yelling at them about what screw-ups they are is not OK with me. And I agree w/ your response in this post, marriard. Not a good coach.

Daddy ball really does suck. We put up with it on my older DD's baseball team because she doesn't really care about it but it's constantly annoying to watch. Happened on one of our softball teams too, which was sold as "head coach has no child on the team." Only on paper, he wasn't the head coach, and the actual head coach's daughter was such a diva. Lost half the team at the end of the season and she was probably 90% of the reason. I feel like if my daughter drove away half a softball team almost single-handedly, I'd want to take a look at our life and try to fix that. It's not going to serve her well in the long term. That's what makes no sense about daddy ball to me - these coaches are not doing their kids any favors.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I'll get some popcorn...

Ok, a couple of examples and keep in mind that I have been the HC in 4 HS sports:

• I saw a golf dad picking up the balls of the foursome his dd was playing in.
  • One golf dad told BB that she was disqualified from a match since she took yardage on a ball that went into the water. (He made BB cry since he was shouting at her. I made him wet his pants.)
  • I saw a basketball parent throw change at the opposing team's player when he was going to make a layup.
  • I've been in a fist fight with a basketball parent at halftime of a basketball game.
  • I carried a baseball dad in a fireman's carry out of our baseball field. He came back. It didn't work out well for him.
  • Have to add another golf story. One dad was walking ahead of his daughter and placing tees in a group by the tee blocks. Whatever number he left was a message to his dd on what club to use teeing off. It became really obvious when, on a Par 3, he left 7 tees. LOL
  • I'll add in one from softball that I've posted before to balance this out some. I've told the story about a college exposure where BB hit a home run off of another girl from our area. Her dad stormed the field and screamed at his dd.

I could go on and on but you get the point.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Ok, a couple of examples and keep in mind that I have been the HC in 4 HS sports:

• I saw a golf dad picking up the balls of the foursome his dd was playing in.
  • One golf dad told BB that she was disqualified from a match since she took yardage on a ball that went into the water. (He made BB cry since he was shouting at her. I made him wet his pants.)
  • I saw a basketball parent throw change at the opposing team's player when he was going to make a layup.
  • I've been in a fist fight with a basketball parent at halftime of a basketball game.
  • I carried a baseball dad in a fireman's carry out of our baseball field. He came back. It didn't work out well for him.
  • Have to add another golf story. One dad was walking ahead of his daughter and placing tees in a group by the tee blocks. Whatever number he left was a message to his dd on what club to use teeing off. It became really obvious when, on a Par 3, he left 7 tees. LOL
  • I'll add in one from softball that I've posted before to balance this out some. I've told the story about a college exposure where BB hit a home run off of another girl from our area. Her dad stormed the field and screamed at his dd.

I could go on and on but you get the point.

I'll bet you've never seen an umpire arrested in the parking lot...............for OUI...........immediately after the game.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Cannonball...I told this story before about HS tennis.

So, my DD is playing doubles against another team. The other team had a parent at each corner of the court, telling the kid what kind of shot to hit and where to hit the shot. E.g. "backhand, down the line" or "forehand cross-court."

Feb 9, 2015
SoCal
It isn't just softball. I could tell you horror stories and I've been the HC of four HS sports. Stories none of you would believe!

Having watched a bunch of both high school softball and girls basketball games last year I kinda think many of the basketball spectators need to be medicated. They behave in ways that no umpire would put up with for 5 minutes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi